FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Eva Air | Infinity MileageLands (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/eva-air-infinity-mileagelands-761/)
-   -   BR to JAL Transfer Time @ TPE? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/eva-air-infinity-mileagelands/1773124-br-jal-transfer-time-tpe.html)

acurrie Jun 19, 2016 8:38 am

BR to JAL Transfer Time @ TPE?

Hoping that a BR and/or TPE expert can comment on the following scenario:
  1. Arriving in TPE on Nov 2 @ 0610 on BR35 from YYZ
  2. Leaving for KIX on JAL814 @ 0840 the same day
Would two and a half hours be sufficient transfer time? Even if I have to go through customs to baggage claim and then check in again?

Thanks in advance for any advice...

exwannabe Jun 19, 2016 12:28 pm

One ticket, or 2 separate tickets?

If one ticket, bags get thru checked, no customs, and you will spend 1-1/2 hours in the lounge.

If separate tickets, it gets a bit messy. You SHOULD make it. You will need to clear imegration/baggage/customs then walk (not far) to the JAL ticket window (thankfully T2), and get there by T-60 (I think).

I would expect you to get to the ticket window with at least a half hour to spare, and likely more. Particularly if you can make good on your feet upon landing.

The huge problem though with the 2 ticket case is that if it fails it is on you. Probably JAL plays nice with you, but nobody would OWE you for a miss-connect.

BTW: Even if 2 tickets you can ask BR to throughcheck your bags to the final destination. Just show the check in agent the other ticket and ask. If this works, like is MUCH easier for you as no customs at TPE. I do not know if they do so though.

I do not check bags, but perhaps one of the BR experts around here can answer this part of the question for you.

acurrie Jun 19, 2016 12:32 pm

Thanks for the quick reply!

Unfortunately yes, it would be two separate tickets—the JAL segment would be an award ticket through BA.

hondaman82 Jun 19, 2016 1:43 pm

You can also try to contact BR first to see if they can check your luggage all the way to KIX, to save some time waiting for baggage claim.

coolfish1103 Jun 19, 2016 8:07 pm

You can also ask the transfer desk (managed by CI) to fetch the bags for you, but you will have to remain at the arrival level till they find it.

acurrie Jun 24, 2016 9:23 am

So for anyone else following this thread, I finally got in touch with someone from EVA.

Their "official" response to this scenario is that I'd have to go through security and customs, then fetch my bags and check back in for my onward JAL flight. However, EVA sould "try to help" with the transfer as much as they could.

The rep I spoke to estimated that 2 hours would be a reasonable expectation for such a transfer.

tya Jun 27, 2016 3:49 am

It'll be in the same terminal and TPE terminals are relatively small, so it shouldn't be tough for you to navigate even if you need to go landside and clear border.

My experience with TPE is that they always clear immigration fairly quickly, especially for early morning arrivals. But my samples were all BR 31 which arrived almost the first or second before dawn. I have indeed heard people complaining the airport are getting busier and lines for immigration/securities are getting longer, but I still have some biased confidence in Taiwanese efficiency. I do think 2:30 should be fine, but definitely try to ask the agent when you check-in if they could give you an airside transfer.

One thing to note is JL and BR uses different concourses, despite both belong to Terminal 2. You will be most likely to arrive on the C side (BR) but need to leave from the D side (JL). Transfer desk managed by CI for JL will also be on the D side.