Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EVA to join Star Alliance

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2011, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tya
As a BR Silver, I would no doubt jump over to CI if BR stays out of alliance.

BR treated me okay, but their yucky price for both C and Y (here i'm talking about NYC specifically) and the all those upgrading frustrations just disgust me. I wouldn't mind give CI or even DL a try after CI joins ST.

Well I'll just wait for a while and if nothing hopeful on BR joining *A being materialised, time to say good-bye.
This got me thinking...maybe the reason BR unofficially announced the joining of *A so early is to keep people from jumping over to CI? There is still no official announcement with *A and usually that is followed by about a year before the full participation.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 12:32 am

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
Originally Posted by username
This got me thinking...maybe the reason BR unofficially announced the joining of *A so early is to keep people from jumping over to CI? There is still no official announcement with *A and usually that is followed by about a year before the full participation.
Oh isn't that too sophisticated for them?

I just assumed it was the typical glee resulting from international recognition/participation on equal terms.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 3:49 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HH Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ak333
One minor addition:

2) has gone for economy, except TPE/BKK/SFO

Everybody forgets that SFO has a "real" BR lounge.
Lounge Access at SFO for Silver members was dropped when traveling in Economy. I don't remember when the benefit ended. It may have been earlier this year.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 10:34 am

Programs: GE, AA PLT/2.6MM, BR Gld, Royal Carib. DM+, Celebrity Elite, NCL PLT, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by EVA Air
Lounge Access at SFO for Silver members was dropped when traveling in Economy. I don't remember when the benefit ended. It may have been earlier this year.
I thought it was dropped for all Silver members in economy, they had to be traveling in Elite or above - no matter the departure city; am I may be wrong about that?
Old Sep 2, 2011, 2:13 pm

Programs: EVA Infinity Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by ak333
I thought it was dropped for all Silver members in economy, they had to be traveling in Elite or above - no matter the departure city; am I may be wrong about that?
Silvers are fine at LAX and SEA in Economy Class but not at SFO. You have to be traveling Elite Class and be a Silver in order to gain entrance into the lounge at SFO.

TG
Old Sep 2, 2011, 2:56 pm
tya

Programs: TK Miles&Smiles, AAdvantage, Flying Blue
Originally Posted by TravelGuy_2007
Silvers are fine at LAX and SEA in Economy Class but not at SFO.
TG
fine you mean lounge access?

I thought Slivers don't get lounge access when flying BR Economy anywhere despite Taipei and Bangkok?
Old Sep 2, 2011, 9:16 pm

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
That's what's written in the book.

However, if BR does force that change in LAX, I am sure they will lose tons of customers to CI cause having lounge access at LAX is almost a comp for card members... not to say that CI Gold isn't much harder to achieve than BR Silver these days with the new rules, on top of that, with CX Silver also having access to lounges.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 1:34 pm

Programs: Thai silver(expired), Eva Gold(expired), SPG Gold (expired), MR gold, AA Exp 1MM, UA platinum.
Originally Posted by username
I could not find any "official announcement" from Star Alliance or Eva air web sites.
The only news was from http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...news-says.html

Is this a rumor?
Old Nov 27, 2011, 5:05 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by Bacai
I could not find any "official announcement" from Star Alliance or Eva air web sites.
The only news was from http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...news-says.html

Is this a rumor?
Not official yet. We might hear something next month at the annual meeting. I think it will be in ADD where ET will officailly join.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 7:37 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
OW or Star by 2013

http://atwonline.com/airline-finance...ance-2013-1110

"Taipei-based EVA Airways Corp. (BR) is “in aggressive talks” to join either oneworld or Star alliance by 2013, senior VP-Europe Tim Yang confirmed to ATW in Vienna."
Old Dec 2, 2011, 3:44 pm

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
Originally Posted by exwannabe
“in aggressive talks”
Oh yes, that fits. Talking aggressively. I keep thinking toys and prams.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 7:42 pm

Programs: Thai silver(expired), Eva Gold(expired), SPG Gold (expired), MR gold, AA Exp 1MM, UA platinum.
Originally Posted by exwannabe
http://atwonline.com/airline-finance...ance-2013-1110

"Taipei-based EVA Airways Corp. (BR) is “in aggressive talks” to join either oneworld or Star alliance by 2013, senior VP-Europe Tim Yang confirmed to ATW in Vienna."
BR should take over AA (it's very cheap 0.39 cents/share) and becomes a Oneworld member instantly.
However, BR may not have money:
"BR carried 6.4 million passengers in 2010 and reported a profit of $40 million"
so they make only $6.25 per passenger, still better than AA.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 11:36 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
BR should take over AA (it's very cheap 0.39 cents/share) and becomes a Oneworld member instantly.
"BR carried 6.4 million passengers in 2010 and reported a profit of $40 million"
Evergreen cargo may be rich enough.

Though, I am sure Chang rather buy Japan Airlines over American Airlines.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 1:28 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by coolfish1103
Evergreen cargo may be rich enough.

Though, I am sure Chang rather buy Japan Airlines over American Airlines.
Yes, papa Evergreen has billions. Buy AA and they could soon have millions
Old Dec 4, 2011, 10:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K/AS 100K …Bonvoy Titanium..Hertz Presidents Club
Too bad current laws do not allow foreign ownership above 48% (?) of a US carrier. So, not going to happen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.