DB "Europa-spezial" tickets and local connections

Subscribe
I have a €39 "Europa-spezial" ticket from Paris to Frankfurt Airport (S-bahn station) via Frankfurt main station.

The train from Paris to Frankfurt Hbf is on day 1 and the connection to the airport is on day 2. Specific trains are identified on the ticket for both legs with a reservation on the main leg but obviously not on the the local S-bahn Frankfurt to Frankfurt airport leg.

I understand that my ticket is only valid for the Paris to Frankfurt stretch on the specific booked train. But what about the local connection to the airport? Can I take any S-bahn train on the day or am I limited to the specific local train mentioned on my ticket?

FWIW, ticket says that it is only valid on booked trains ("gilt nur in gebuchten zügen")
Technically, I think you are limited to the specific S-Bahn train mentioned on your ticket, however if you want to take another train, you could always invest into a reasonably-priced S-Bahn ticket once you are in Frankfurt, or try your luck and get on any S-Bahn with your current ticket. You could always plead ignorance in the unlikely event that there is a spot-check and they catch the fact that you should be on a different train..
Thanks. Getting another ticket in case I end up on a different train will indeed hardly bankrupt me but good to know where I stand.
Your best option is to speak to either the train staff on the train or ask at the information desk in Frankfurt main station both should be able to speak English German and in this case French on the train. They will normaly let it go no problem but if not a ticket to the airport costs about €6 and with a new ticket you can also use RB. WARNING!!!!! Do not just get on the train and plead ignorance they are not likley to belive you and then you must pay the standard fare same as if you had no ticket and thats expensive!(€40-60).This is a route that is checked daily and more than once a day.
P.s if you buy a ticket get it from the green machines in station they are cheaper than the red machines...
Can you just scan the ticket? After seeing the ticket, it should be possible to answer your question. If you can't scan the ticket, for which local trains exactly are mentioned on the ticket and for which day is the ticket valid? (Mostly 2 days after starting the journey).
cheers
757DUD
Afaik it's normally valid on other S-Bahn trains as well.

Just looked up an old online ticket of mine and it said:

"DB: Gilt nur in gebuchten Zügen an angegebenen Reisetagen. Im NV(S/RB/RE/IRE) auf
eingetr. Strecke vor/nach den geb. Zügen am 1.Tag u. Folgetag bis 10 Uhr"

under the validity.

That would translate to "DB: Only valid on booked trains on specified travel dates. In NV (Nahverkehr / Regional Trains) (S/RB/RE/IRE) on specified route before/after booked trains on the first day and following day until 10am"

This is pretty much required anyway, since trains are oftenly delayed... So I for example preferred the earlier regional train to give me 20 minutes to connect, instead of 5.

So if that statement is on your ticket, you can take the regional leg on a different train.
Quote: So if that statement is on your ticket, you can take the regional leg on a different train.
No, I don't get the Nahverkehr statement, just the "Gilt nur in gebuchten Zügen an angegebenen Reisetagen" on its own. It is an online ticket, if that makes any difference.
As i said in my earler reply speak to the staff on the train. They are able to say if your ticket is valid or not and they can normally change your ticket for you at no extra cost if needed. Please do not scan your ticket as sujested as the bar code contains your credit or debit card number that you booked your ticket with and your name ... Ticket fraud is somthing we all need to be aware off!!
Thanks for all your replies. I will ask the conductor on the train to Frankfurt and, if need be, at the station on arrival.
The usual drill is that when you are coming off a long distance train, you can use the same ticket for traveling S-bahns in the arrival city on the day of arrival. Therefore, I would assume that you have not paid extra for the S-bahn part and it will not be valid on any other day. If you buy a ticket locally you have to validate it by stamping it in a machine before you get on the train or it is the same as note having a ticket. If your present S-Bahn ticket is undated then all you have to do is stamp it. If it is on the same page as the long distance route, don't use it the next day.
Quote: The usual drill is that when you are coming off a long distance train, you can use the same ticket for traveling S-bahns in the arrival city on the day of arrival. Therefore, I would assume that you have not paid extra for the S-bahn part and it will not be valid on any other day. If you buy a ticket locally you have to validate it by stamping it in a machine before you get on the train or it is the same as note having a ticket. If your present S-Bahn ticket is undated then all you have to do is stamp it. If it is on the same page as the long distance route, don't use it the next day.
No: I specifically inputted Frankfurt Flughafen Regionalbf as the destination via Frankfurt Hbf, with a stopover in Frankfurt Hbf so as to force the system to give me the Frankfurt Hbf to Frankfurt airport S-bahn station the next day of my arrival in Frankfurt. The ticket generated, however, does indicate a specific train (albeit without reservation since no reservation is possible on S-bahn trains). The price, however, is the same as if I terminated at Frankfurt Hbf.
Quote: The usual drill is that when you are coming off a long distance train, you can use the same ticket for traveling S-bahns in the arrival city on the day of arrival.
This is not the case for Frankfurt Airport, which is not considered part of "Frankfurt City".
Quote: As i said in my earler reply speak to the staff on the train. They are able to say if your ticket is valid or not and they can normally change your ticket for you at no extra cost if needed. Please do not scan your ticket as sujested as the bar code contains your credit or debit card number that you booked your ticket with and your name ... Ticket fraud is somthing we all need to be aware off!!
Actually no, they can not change his ticket a no extra cost, because the OP has bought a restricted "Europa Spezial" ticket. Those ticket are only valid on the booked train and changes would be costly (definitively more expensive than the one way fare from Frankfurt to the airport), if at all possible. The only event in which they could/would change his ticket for free would be if he would miss his connection in Frankfurt due to the late arrival of his train from Paris (which is not likely given the fact that he has an overnight stop-over).
Quote: P.s if you buy a ticket get it from the green machines in station they are cheaper than the red machines...
The color of the machines has nothing to do with the price of the ticket. It depends on whether you buy a ticket for the local trains (S-Bahn/RB/RE etc.) or for long distance trains (IC/ICE) to the airport. Local train tickets are cheaper, but they can bought at both machines..
I have used these tickets lots of times, with local train connections to weird places like Meiningen. I went into it thoroughly at one point, and remember learning that the Regio, S-Bahn and local trains were exempt from the obligation to use only the trains indicated on the booking. So I reckon it is completely legitimate to hop on the S-Bahn to the airport when you arrive without penalty.

I remember also learning that the Swiss portions of the same ticket were also completely exempt from travelling on the booked trains. So that meant I could stop in Basel, see friends, even stay the night, and continue later (within 1-day) to Montreux or wherever.

Also, I think that the whole stretch could also be completed, within the time limit of 1 or 2 days or whatever it is, using any trains than IC or ICE, obviously the slower ones. So I could have stopped in Mannheim, then continued to Meiningen by Nahverkehr (slow local trains). But I never did this, though.