Wiki Posts
Search

System mistak on sbb.ch when booking Geneve to Lyon, FR

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2009, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA1k, AmEx Plat, Global Entry & Pre✓
System mistak on sbb.ch when booking Geneve to Lyon, FR

I booked a trip from Geneva (Coravin) to Lyon, FR this morning on sbb.ch.

I booked the trip for the morning, somewhere around 930am.

I got the e-mail receipt and the ticket is saying "From 13:44 to 15:31 TGV 6818"

What can I do to get the right train, or am I stuck with this ticket? Will they let you board an earlier train if you'd like, or no?

Thanks!
Old Sep 24, 2009, 9:44 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
What are the T&Cs on the ticket?

TGVs have compulsory reservation, so you'll need to rebook anyway - the question is whether or not you'll be charged. And that will depend on the ticket type. I expect you'll have to phone them up in any case.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 9:50 am
Original Poster

"JEUNE 12 to less than 26 years of age on the day of departure, provide proof of age on board. Ticket can be exchanged and is refundable before departure."

Do you know what to do?
Old Sep 24, 2009, 9:58 am

Well, you can turn up on the day and get a new reservation before boarding, but I don't know the loadings of those trains, so couldn't recommend that one way or the other.

Alternatively, you may need to call SBB. I can't see a reservation change on their website, although I don't have access to the user-account area.

Finally, as your ticket is refundable, you could simply book a new one, and get a refund for the old one.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 10:12 am
Original Poster

How would I get the refund? I have a friend in Basel who I asked to go to the ticket counter for me and figure it out. Hopefully he can help, as I don't speak Swiss-German and would have a difficult time calling them.

Wouldn't the price go up if I wait until the day of? I paid 31 CHF for this ticket.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 10:18 am

No - you have a fully exchangeable ticket, so can change the reservation without getting a refund if need be.

SBB have English-speaking operators. They already have 4 languages and umpteen dialects to deal with - English is no problem!
Old Sep 24, 2009, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Do you know the number to reach them (in English)?
Old Sep 24, 2009, 10:32 am

They have one number for all languages: +41 900 300 300.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 8:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
From what I've seen here, you should have no problem, even just turning up and taking the earlier train. I would be surprised if a Geneva - Lyons train is really completely full. However, you might be better off exchanging it. You can do that at the counter of Geneva station, probably best the evening before if you can.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 9:53 am

TGVs are mandatory reservation, though. I know in France they have the 'échange minute' machines to allow you to change a reservation on the spot - I don't if something's in place in Swiss or German stations.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 7:11 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
There are no SNCF machines at Geneva station. That's why I suggested going to the ticket counter in Geneva station. On top of that the OP purchased the ticket from CFF. Whilst I know that you are required to have a reservation on TGVs, the OP does have one, he just intends using it on a different train.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by stut
TGVs are mandatory reservation, though. I know in France they have the 'échange minute' machines to allow you to change a reservation on the spot - I don't if something's in place in Swiss or German stations.
You can also ask the train manager before departure. I've never had a problem changing to an earlier train as long as there are seats available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.