Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Renfe & American Credit Cards

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2011, 5:31 pm

Programs: Many
Very hard but possible

I have been trying to buy tickets on Renfe's website for an itinerary in a few weeks. About once every 25 tries, it goes through. I'm using American Visa cards - Capital One and Chase. It is maddening, but all I can say is keep trying. This is the worst website I know for purchasing travel.
Old May 11, 2011, 9:31 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Having your card registered for Verified by Visa can be helpful in having your card accepted.
Old May 19, 2011, 9:40 am

My experience with Renfe

Everyone else's success stories gave me confidence that I, too, would be able to purchase tickets on the Renfe website. I was prepared. I followed the instructions on Tripadvisor and Seat61 to the T. I was persistent. I tried numerous times over the course of 3 days and during different times in the day and night. Was I successful? NO!!! The entire process was extremely frustrating. I have a Chase Visa credit card and also a Chase Visa debit card (both are Verified by Visa). Both were declined. I called and spoke with Chase 4 times, and each time the rep I spoke with claimed to release the hold on my account. One rep even waited on the phone with me while I tried to complete the transaction, but he said he wasn't seeing the transaction on his end. I also tried to contact Petrabax, but never received a response from them. I then decided to do what a few others resorted to, which was to purchase 2 preferente tickets from rumbo.es. This purchase was also initially declined, but it took just 1 call to release the hold for the transaction to go through. Although I spent an additional $10 EUR ($14 USD) for 2 tickets, it was well worth it to finally have confirmed tickets in my possession...and I saved $135 over RailEurope's fares! BTW, rumbo does offer estrella and web fares. I am just happy that I don't have to deal with the Renfe website anymore!!! Good luck to everyone else!
Old Jul 4, 2011, 12:08 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Can't get Renfe web site(Spanish rail) to recognize my U.S. credit card.

Trying to book rail tickets for my upcoming trip in Spain online using Renfe's web site, but it won't recognize my U.S. Visa credit card. I was trying to use my Chase Hyatt card since it doesn't have a foreign transaction fee, but the purchase will not go though. Also tried a different card with the same result.
Anyone been able to purchase tickets from the U.S.? Is there a work around? Chase claims there is nothing wrong on their end.
Thanks for any tips!
Old Jul 4, 2011, 4:40 am
Ambassador, LATAM

Programs: LATAM, Lifemiles
I'd suggest checking out this guide on tripadvisor (Buying Renfe tickets online). There's a number for someone to contact in English and also suggestions of a couple of ticket agents for when nothing works.

there's also a few threads (like this one) about this problem.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 7:05 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by andreadbc
Indeed - and I think European Rail Travel is the best place for you to get an answer to this query. Please continue to follow this thread over there.

stut
Co-Moderator
Europe Forum
Old Jul 4, 2011, 9:17 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
I just verified my Chase (Hyatt branded) Visa card and then had no problem booking Renfe tickets, where prior to verifying, the card wouldn't work.
Did this by going to visa.com

edit: too soon with the jubilation. First purchase went through, but have been trying unsuccessfully for an hour to purchase the second leg.

Last edited by rittenhousesq; Jul 4, 2011 at 10:12 am Reason: added and update
Old Jul 4, 2011, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by andreadbc
I'd suggest checking out this guide on tripadvisor (Buying Renfe tickets online). There's a number for someone to contact in English and also suggestions of a couple of ticket agents for when nothing works.

Thanks! Going to visa.com and verifying my card did the trick. The ticket purchase went through no problem.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 2:52 pm

Call your bank and see if they put a hold on the second purchase.

IIRC. You can buy multiple tix w/ one transaction.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by Palal
Call your bank and see if they put a hold on the second purchase.

Someone else told me that the website won't allow a second transaction until the credit card has been verified for the first. So I just waited and tried today (Monday 7/5) and the transaction went through no problem. So I guess the key is to wait until the next business day before trying another transaction.

BTW, I did call my credit card and everything was fine at their end.

I'm very happy because I got a really good deal on business class seats. Looking forward to trying out the trains!
Old Jul 5, 2011, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by Palal
I think I'm confusing renfe's site with trenitalia.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 1:05 pm

Programs: AS MVPG; WN A-List; Marriott Plat; IHG Plat; HH Diamond; all the rest
Success

Update to this thread - here's what worked and didn't for me:

Chase Sapphire Preferred - failed, bank security couldn't see the transaction (helpful agent)

Barclaycard US Airways World Master Card - failed, bank security could see the transaction but it still wouldn't go through once security settings were changed (very helpful agent)

Citibank-issued AA Amex - failed, didn't call

Gold Amex - failed. Then read that Amex's tend not to work.

Then, I followed the additional advice on Seat61 and registered for an account on Renfe. Into that account I saved a Bank of America Visa Signature... which worked on the first try!

So, some combination of having a Renfe account and using a Bank of America card worked. Too bad B of A will charge me a 3% foreign transaction fee, but, that's better than $30+ for using Petrabax (or $100+ for Rail Europe since they don't offer the discount fares).
Old Sep 13, 2014, 10:49 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Platnum
Pretty much same situation as DCA-SEA. So finally I just added my Chase Sapphire Preferred VISA to my Paypal account and voila, success first time with Paypal. Good Luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.