Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe including Turkey > European Rail Travel
Sign in using an external account

Old Feb 16, 09, 10:51 am   #1
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH back to SEN, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Royal Ambassador, BA down to Silver
Geneva - Aix les Bains

I am taking the train from Geneva to Aix les Bains. Has anyone used the train from Switzerland to France since Switzerland implemented the Schengen agreements for land borders ? I suppose we no longer have to go through immigration in Cornavin ?
JOUY31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 09, 5:32 am   #2
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: BA Gold, KL Ivory, BD RIP
Haven't done this particular journey for a long time, but the few times I've been through Basle SNCF recently, there's been no border control whatsoever (even in the year leading up to Switzerland joining Schengen).
stut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 09, 9:07 pm   #3
nrr

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; 2MM AA
Quote:
Originally Posted by stut View Post
Haven't done this particular journey for a long time, but the few times I've been through Basle SNCF recently, there's been no border control whatsoever (even in the year leading up to Switzerland joining Schengen).
On November 28, 2008, I rode from Stassbourg to Basle SNCF, shortly after departing Mulhouse, a Swiss "agent" passed through the train checking passports; he may have been from customs.
On December 25, 2007 and January 15, 2008 I rode the direct tgv Paris-Strassbourg-Basle SBB (not stopping in SNCF) and no "agent" passed through the train.
nrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 09, 10:36 pm   #4
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH back to SEN, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Royal Ambassador, BA down to Silver
Just went through Cornavin station after landing in GVA. The trains to France use the same platform and we go through the same security checkpoint. There is just no immigration control anymore, just a customs agent (charming, by the way), who stops a very small number of passengers. Connecting between platforms took less than 5mn.
JOUY31 is online now   Reply With Quote