Reload this Page >

UK Rail and Eurostar FAQs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 17, 2015, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
FlyerTalk Forums Thread Wiki: this is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; feel free to add important information here. Wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner).
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2009, 8:34 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe
Original Poster

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere

As there is some crossover between the UK/Ireland (and other destination) fora and this one, I thought I'd post a couple of links to existing railway FAQs from over there:

The UK & Ireland rail FAQ - read this first if you have any questions about rail travel in the UK & Ireland including:

The Eurostar FAQ - everything you'll need to know about travelling to Europe (ahem) sur le Euro-Etoile, courtesy of UK flyer.

Hope this is of some use to readers of this excellent new forum!
Old Jan 19, 2009, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Liverpool Street - I often collect tickets from the machines in the station. Although they're not technically FastTicket machines they do support ticket on departure and will accept an online/telesales booking reference.

Some other stations have the same type of machine but don't have ticket on departure enabled. This used to be the case with Waterloo but I'm not sure now.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Yes, they've rolled that out in a number of additional ticket machines up and down the country now - First Capital Connect, for example, allow you to collect tickets at most of their TVMs, even in small suburban stations.

A lot more stations allow pick-up from a ticket window now, too.

I've updated the FAQ - thanks for the input!
Old Jul 7, 2012, 5:38 am

It's well worth trying railbookers http://www.railbookers.com/ as they do really god packages, I've used them before and never been disappointed!
Old Oct 2, 2012, 10:05 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Just used the Eurostar app on the iPhone for the first time today. Seemed pretty simple, though I didn't like that I had to resort to the website/phone to select seats, nor that the app says it cannot produce an electronic ticket less than 48 hours before departure. I wonder why not? Hopefully these features will be added or implemented soon.

Edit: Whoops -- meant to post that in the Eurostar FAQ thread. Mods, please feel free to move.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 4:29 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
For those thinking of travelling on the Eurostar between late September and early December, there's a sale due to start in 2 days time. Eurostar Frequent Travellers have just been sent a link to the pre-sale, which seems to show a decent amount of availability, everyone else should get access on Thursday!
Old Oct 7, 2015, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Just took Eurostar and was not impressed at all, went from Paris to London, might be when the new trains come on line, but the current trains are showing thier age as well as the seats.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 8:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Is it necessary to buy tickets in advance? We are going from London to Brussels on November 16.,3 of us planning to go regular class and trying to decide when we need to purchase? I'm thinking Monday morning cou l d be a busy time?
Old Oct 18, 2015, 11:08 pm
Original Poster

Trains are relatively rarely sold out (only on particularly busy days), but the pricing is airline style, so you'll pay significantly more, the later you leave it.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 1:37 am

Originally Posted by worldiswide
Is it necessary to buy tickets in advance? We are going from London to Brussels on November 16.,3 of us planning to go regular class and trying to decide when we need to purchase? I'm thinking Monday morning cou l d be a busy time?
For this journey, you may find it cheaper to book a one-way ticket from London to Cologne on the DB site. You need to insert a stopover in Brussels South, put the departure time from London to (roughly) match the train you want to get, and tweak the stopover time in Brussels so it books you onto the 06:25 ICE from Brussels to Cologne on the Tuesday morning (which you are not going to catch, of course).

It sounds more complex than it is. You are not breaking any rules by ending your journey in Brussels, and this (currently) would be €59 per person (£44/$67), cheaper than on the Eurostar website for any train other than the 06:13 departure from London on November 16th.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 7:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
This is why you love FT. Thanks for the tip.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 5:33 am

Programs: QF Silver
Does Eurostar do free upgrades? I booked a standard class ticket for 1 September and when I went to print my ticket I noticed I was in carriage 3 with sets of single facing seats (see attached - I can't work out how to embed the image).

Yes, my booking is definitely for a standard class not standard premier.

Any idea what's going on? Should I just be happy and take it, or will my seat get changed to something horrid when I get there? Or is the seat map wrong?

Thanks!
Attached Images  
Old Jul 31, 2016, 8:25 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
On the old trains, Standard Premier and Business Premier is in the middle. On the new trains, they're at the ends. On the old trains, the buffets are in coaches 6 and 13. On the new ones, it's the middle pair.

That seat map looks like a new-train seatmap. It could be that they're in the process of swapping trains, or it could be that the website is confused... I'd suggest checking back nearer to travel, in case you have been re-seated somewhere less good following a train swap!
Old Jul 31, 2016, 4:22 pm

Programs: QF Silver
Thanks Gagravarr - I was worried they'd fix it and I'd end up somewhere undesirable. I'll keep an eye on it closer to travel and re-assign if necessary.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 1:52 am
Original Poster

It's not unheard of to have "declassified" standard premier carriages when demand dictates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.