Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > European Rail Travel
Reload this Page >

Train from Prague to Athens

Train from Prague to Athens

Old Mar 25, 2008, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
I did an Interrail trip 3 years ago, and took a night train from Belgrade to Podgorica on (then) Yugoslavian stock. Very comfortable.
Also, the Split to Zagreb night train in Croatia was the best of that trip in either west/east Europe.

I didnt think there were any more gauge changes unless one goes inside the old USSR (incl.Lituania/Latvia/Estonia).
Also, there is no more border between Czech Rep and Hungary

My only concern with this through coach is that its fine if its a sleeper, but otherwise I dont know if I d be willing to do 31 hrs in a regular 2nd class coach.

*I meant Skopje not Sofia in my original post, probably because I found Sofia a far more interesting place. I would definetly break the journey at least once in either Budapest or Belgrade, even if it meant one less day in either Prague or Athens (5 days in Prague alone would be way more than enough for me!)
Old Mar 26, 2008, 5:26 am

Programs: legions, foreign and domestic
xxxxx

Last edited by inyourvillages; Jun 2, 2009 at 7:59 am
Old Mar 26, 2008, 5:45 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
To be fair, gauge changes, on an entirely national scale, are extremely unlikely to have happened in this time...

And she's right, the 1520mm gauge is really only used in the CIS within Europe, plus Finland (but not the Kaliningradskaya Oblast). The other anomalies are Iberia, until recently using 1668mm (new high speed lines are the European standard 1435mm) and Ireland, using 1600mm.

Any changes currently taking place are to the 1435mm standard.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stut
The other anomalies are Iberia
Perhaps you meant Renfe?
Old Mar 26, 2008, 6:59 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by NickB
Perhaps you meant Renfe?
The area, not the company!

Let's chalk it up to cultural differences...
Old Mar 26, 2008, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by inyourvillages
Avia, if you're able to make blanket statements about train travel between Prague and Greece based on a trip from Germany to Greece more than 30 years ago, you're far too brilliant for me to argue with you.
I was only talking about gauge changes. Are you trying to suggest that they would have dug up the railway line in the last 30 years and put in a different gauge just to make things more awkward to travellers?

(Sorry - should have read stut's post before answering! Thanks for coming to my defence, much appreciated)

Last edited by Aviatrix; Mar 26, 2008 at 10:43 am Reason: Failure to read other posts properly! :-)
Old Mar 26, 2008, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stut
The area, not the company!
Ah. Iberia and Hibernia, then.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.