Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > European Rail Travel
Reload this Page >

Flying to FRA, train to Paris, when/how to book?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2017, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

In mid-October, I will be flying SQ from JFK-FRA, but need to get to Paris on a same-day connection. While the specific time of arrival in Paris isn't that important, I'd like to leave FRA as soon as practical (don't want to hang around the airport too, too long). The connection would occur on a Sunday, if that matters.

I've done a bit of poking around in the schedules and found some DB-TGV connection options.

What's the best way to book a trip like this? If I book ahead of time, and choose an earlier train departure by my flight is late in arriving, is it simple enough to get reticketed? If I choose a later departure and arrive on time, is it easy enough to get reticketed to an earlier set of trains? Am I better off waiting until I get there and just buying a ticket right at the station (i.e. fare difference or chance of a train being full with no space available?). I know a lot of trains in Europe are not specifically reserved, but I believe the high speed ones generally are.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 5:58 pm

You can buy the ticket online at www.bahn.de; I don't know if sales for your October departure have opened yet, but if not, they will open soon enough. You will get a great price, but the cheapest tickets cannot be changed within 24 hours of departure.

So your best bet is to give yourlself enough leeway to accommodate any possible flight delays. Luckily Frankfurt airport is an interesting place and it is very easy to spend a couple of hours there.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 9:34 pm

Also keep in mind, that for TGV trains on a crossborder ticket you need a mandatory reservation, which could mean in case of reticketing, that your alternative train could be fully booked.

Domestic trains in Germany don't have a mandatory reservation requirement, you can always board a train, even if people are already standing.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 1:06 am
Suspended

Programs: Accor, IHG, LH, BAEC, DB
Originally Posted by rmadisonwi
What's the best way to book a trip like this? If I book ahead of time, and choose an earlier train departure by my flight is late in arriving, is it simple enough to get reticketed?
If we're talking DB (Deutsche Bahn) tickets, there are two scenarios.

If you buy a non-flex ticket ("Sparpreis") and don't make the scheduled train at FRA, the ticket will be just expire worthlessly (no chance to re-ticket, not even for a fee). You are not allowed to hop on an earlier train, either.

If buying a flexible ticket ("Flexpreis"), you can use any train of your choosing along the same route on the date indicated on the ticket. However, on the relation you're planning to take, for most trains, a seat reservation is mandatory. If you don't make the train you've reserved, you'll need to make a new reservation. With DB, mandatory reservations cannot be changed free of charge (not even in first class). Thus, you'd have to pay a fee for a new reservation.

Am I better off waiting until I get there and just buying a ticket right at the station
No. Most likely, when arriving at the ticket counter at the station, non-flexible "Sparpreis" tickets (i.e., the discounted tickets) will be sold out. You then have to buy a flexible "Flexpreis" ticket. It will cost the exact same amount at the station as when pre-purchasing it online. (There's a small chance discounted tickets will be available when you walk up to the counter at the station.)

Discounts for Sparpreis tickets are pretty steep when purchased well in advance. If cost is an issue, I recommend leaving 2,5-3,5 hours between scheduled arrival of your flight and the departure of your train and buying Sparpreis tickets. DB does run occasional sales on Sparpreis tickets, even international ones. But these sales are rare, I'd just purchase a Sparpreis ticket ASAP.

If you want flexibility and choose to go for the Flexpreis tickets, you can push down the price a bit by purchasing a BahnCard 25 Flex. The price of the BahnCard will be more than offset by the saving on the flexible return ticket to Paris. Note that the BahnCard is a subscription which you'll have to cancel online. (Can be done right after purchase.)

Lastly, I know little about SNCF tickets. The above all applies to DB tickets only. I can't rule out better deals through SNCF. I do know SNCF runs occasional sales.

EDIT -- As to when it is possible to purchase advance tickets: Assuming you're looking for a r/t ticket, it depends on the date of your return. International tickets should be available at least four months in advance of the day of travel.

Last edited by fppmongo; Jun 25, 2017 at 1:12 am
Old Jun 25, 2017, 5:13 pm

Not all Frankfurt-Paris tickets enjoy the reduced fare ("Sparpereis"), but within 2-3 hours of the SQ arrival in FRA there are two connections to Paris (with a connection in Mannheim or Karlsruhe) which offer the reduced fare (70 or 90 Euros in second class, as opposed to the normal fare of 130 Euros). I would just buy one of these tickets on the DB website and hang around FRA if you arrive early.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 9:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: Accor, IHG, LH, BAEC, DB
^^^On the dates in question, I find discounted tickets for 39€ (e.g., ICE107/ICE9572 on Oct 8/15/22, leaves at 13:51). I'd recommend buying first class tickets, though (49€ including the mandatory reservation).
Old Jun 26, 2017, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by fppmongo
^^^On the dates in question, I find discounted tickets for 39€ (e.g., ICE107/ICE9572 on Oct 8/15/22, leaves at 13:51). I'd recommend buying first class tickets, though (49€ including the mandatory reservation).
Yes, Sparpreis tickets to France start at 39.90 Euros, and with flexibility and enough time before departure this low fare can often be found. I just picked a Sunday (the OP's arrival day) in August (bad! - vacation time) to see what connections were possible after the SQ arrival. Fridays and Sundays have higher fares, as do mid-day trips generally. You bring up a valid point: check various departures and be flexible. Thanks for your clarification.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fppmongo
Thanks. That looks like the best option, and the fare isn't too bad either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.