Wiki Posts
Search

Spanish Intercity Trains?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2017, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Spanish Intercity Trains?

Hey all-

I'm working on booking train tickets from Madrid-Sevilla on an upcoming trip and had a question regarding a type of train I can't seem to find any information about. One of the train types is listed as "Intercity" on the Renfe site and I'm failing miserably at finding anything about this kind of train on the forum/internet. It only seems to take 10 minutes longer than the AVE trains, but I guess I was wondering more regarding if they are still decent trains (mainly concerned about A/C).

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old Mar 7, 2017, 1:36 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
I'm pretty sure these are the Alvia trains on this route.

http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/nue...lvia_s120.html
http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/nue...lvia_s130.html
Old Mar 7, 2017, 6:54 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
The Alvia trains are high-speed on the high-speed part of the line, but then go through a gauge changer and continue on an iberian-gauge conventional line to non-HS destinations.

The rolling stock is different, it will run at max. 250 km/h instead of 300 km/h (hence the time difference), but other than that it'll be no different for you.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 1:29 am

Originally Posted by Palal
The Alvia trains are high-speed on the high-speed part of the line, but then go through a gauge changer and continue on an iberian-gauge conventional line to non-HS destinations.

The rolling stock is different, it will run at max. 250 km/h instead of 300 km/h (hence the time difference), but other than that it'll be no different for you.
For the real anoraks amongst us here is a video of the gauge-changing process
Old Mar 8, 2017, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses! Some AVE tickets actually ended up appearing for a more desirable time so I ended up buying those, but this is very helpful for future reference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.