Wiki Posts
Search

Munich Airport to Salzburg

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2017, 3:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Munich Airport to Salzburg

Flying into Munich next week, Thursday, and planning on getting the train to Salzburg.

Can't quite seem to find full details on it as different websites seem to give conflicting info.

[1] Is there a train station at the airport or do I have to get to the main station?
[2] How do I know if I'm on a regional or ICE train?
[3] Is it worth paying say €33 for first class over €27ish for standard?
[4] Any particular side to sit for views?
[5] Cheaper buying in advance compared to on the day?
[6] Flexibility. Looking at the trainline website, it mentions semi-flexibility. If by some chance, my flight arrived late, can I catch any train?
i.e. I book one at 10am but my flight only arrives at 10:05am. Then next train is at 11am.

Added:
Ok, for [1], it seems I catch a train from Munich Airport to Munich OST and then connect to a Railjet train to Salzburg HbF.

Last edited by xenole; Feb 17, 2017 at 4:42 am
Old Feb 17, 2017, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by xenole
Flying into Munich next week, Thursday, and planning on getting the train to Salzburg.

Can't quite seem to find full details on it as different websites seem to give conflicting info.

[1] Is there a train station at the airport or do I have to get to the main station?
[2] How do I know if I'm on a regional or ICE train?
[3] Is it worth paying say €33 for first class over €27ish for standard?
[4] Any particular side to sit for views?
[5] Cheaper buying in advance compared to on the day?
[6] Flexibility. Looking at the trainline website, it mentions semi-flexibility. If by some chance, my flight arrived late, can I catch any train?
i.e. I book one at 10am but my flight only arrives at 10:05am. Then next train is at 11am.

Added:
Ok, for [1], it seems I catch a train from Munich Airport to Munich OST and then connect to a Railjet train to Salzburg HbF.
Yes there is a train station at the airport, but no long-distance trains stop there; ergo, you have to go to the main station (Hauptbahnhof) or Ostbahnhof (limited choices for kiosks, food etc).

The time-table at the Hbf & the train ID (hung on the carriages) will tell you whether you are on an ICE or some other train. Most ICEs require you to pay additional reservation fees.

First class is quieter and roomier; worthwhile or not, only you can tell.

Sit on the right side (from the direction of travel) to get good views.

Last edited by shonamac; Feb 17, 2017 at 11:11 am
Old Feb 17, 2017, 11:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's usually faster to go to the OstBahnhof, although watch out for (a few) tracks that apparently have stairs rather than escalators. Otherwise, OstBahnhof is modern and not so large. It wasn't crowdedness all, but I suspect this is not true at rush hour.

If you're taking regional trains, which aren't much faster although they do make a number of stops, I'm not sure there's much advantage to purchasing the ticket in advance. You can just use the machines at the airport station, which generate a nice printout showing connections and track numbers. For the ICE trains, advanced purchase can make a big difference in the fare. The machines do English of course (and lots of other languages) and seem to accept USA credit cards (the one I used a couple months ago had a chip) easily.

I don't know about this trip, but sometimes when you purchase train tickets in advance on the internet, you must still report to the ticket window or enter a code into a machine to get the actual ticket. To me this would be less convenient than simply buying the ticket from a machine.

Most of the ride is very pretty, at least on the route the regional trains use. I'm not sure that one side of the train is obviously better.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 5:42 pm

Where do you see a 27 Euro fare? On the Eurorail website (avoid!)? You can buy the ticket online at the DB website for 19 Euros.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 2:20 am

Programs: Compulsory Traveller
I recommend reading "Train travel in Germany - a beginner's guide" at http://www.seat61.com/Germany-trains.htm. Sit on the right side.

Last edited by ritesa; Feb 18, 2017 at 2:26 am
Old Feb 18, 2017, 3:11 am

Originally Posted by Track
Where do you see a 27 Euro fare? On the Eurorail website (avoid!)? You can buy the ticket online at the DB website for 19 Euros.
+1
www.bahn.com
Old Feb 18, 2017, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

€19 for the 11:30am train in 2nd class and about €10 more for first class.
Takes 1h20 so looks like a faster train.

Still got to get from the airport to the main station though as the bahn.com site doesn't seem to mention the airport.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 1:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
When I bought my ticket for the regional train at the airport, it included the S-Bahn between the airport and OstBahnhof. The S-Bahn information about times and track numbers was also included in the printed schedule. Easy.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 2:00 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
€19 for the 11:30am train in 2nd class and about €10 more for first class.
Takes 1h20 so looks like a faster train.

Still got to get from the airport to the main station though as the bahn.com site doesn't seem to mention the airport.
München Flughafen is what you will need to put in for the airport on the website I think. I thought there used to be a Bayern ticket (or something like that) which included everything for a reasonable price but may not be such a deal for one person, for multiple people remember it being a very good deal though.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 4:12 pm

The Bahn site does include the airport, either "München Flughafen" or even in English "Munich Airport".

You can get a Bayernticket for 25€, it includes the S-Bahn from the airport to Ostbahnhof and is flexible, so you just catch the next available train, but it's only valid on regional trains, not on Railjet/IC/EC/ICE.

The Sparpreis for 19€ is cheaper, but it's not flexible in case your flight is delayed.

Railjet/IC/EC trains are not really much faster on this route.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 4:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by ritesa
You can get a Bayernticket for 25€, it includes the S-Bahn from the airport to Ostbahnhof and is flexible, so you just catch the next available train, but it's only valid on regional trains, not on Railjet/IC/EC/ICE.
The Bayernticket is exceptionally good value if you are travelling in a group. The €25 covers the first person. Up to 4 additional persons can be added for €4 per person IIRC.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 9:58 pm
Original Poster

I can't get München Flughafen. Finds something like "Munich airport T" if I search for "airport Munich"
Old Feb 19, 2017, 1:38 am

I can't get München Flughafen. Finds something like "Munich airport T" if I search for "airport Munich"
So what's the issue? Use Munich Airport T (for tief = underground).
Old Feb 19, 2017, 10:21 am

Search through Trainline.eu for different alternatives with no booking fee
Old Feb 19, 2017, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by farci
Search through Trainline.eu for different alternatives with no booking fee
Which "different alternatives"? All trains in Germany can be found on bahn.com. Trainline actually shows less alternatives as they do not cover the state tickets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.