Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > European Rail Travel
Reload this Page >

Eurostar from London St. Pancras

Old Feb 16, 2017, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

I have a 0800 Eurostar departure from London St. Pancras.

What is the latest that I need to be there (at the first barrier / checkpoint) in order not to be denied boarding?
Old Feb 17, 2017, 2:17 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Assuming you're not in Business Premier or have any kind of frequent traveller card, then it's 30 minutes. However, they tend to be pretty flexible if you're running late.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 10:09 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
This is what Eurostar says:

When to check in

Your check-in time depends on what ticket you have. If in doubt, arrive with time to spare and relax with a coffee and a croissant before you board.

Standard, Standard Premier, and Eurostar carte classique travellers

Check in at least 30 minutes before departure, 45 minutes at busy times like weekends and bank holidays.

Business Premier and Eurostar carte blanche travellers

Check in at least 10 minutes before departure.

If you arrive a little early in London, Paris, Brussels or Ebbsfleet, head to our exclusive Business Premier lounge to enjoy complimentary wi-fi, drinks and snacks for up to 90 minutes before departure.

Groups of 10 or more

Regardless of class, groups will need to check-in at least 1 hour before departure, allow more time at busy times such as weekends and bank holidays.

Travellers needing assistance

Please allow yourself an extra 30 minutes on top of your normal check-in time.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 10:57 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
If you haven't taken Eurostar from London before, unless you're a real St Pancras regular, I'd suggest you aim to be there 45-60 minutes before departure. That way, you'll have plenty of time to make your way from the tube / taxi drop-off / domestic train platforms / etc to the Eurostar checkin, go through checkin + security + UK exit checks + French arrival immigration, all without stressing.

The Eurostar checkin area is well sign-posted inside St Pancras, and St Pancras is well signposted from the surrounding area, but if it's all new and you don't know your way around, I wouldn't suggest cutting too fine in case of problems / misunderstanding signs / waiting for lifts with heavy bags / etc

Eurostar are pretty good if you miss your train due other train issues (eg train into London was delayed), and better than many airlines if you miss your Eurostar due to your own fault, but I still normally aim to be at checkin with 40 minutes to spare even as a fairly regular traveller.

At 8am they're likely to be pretty busy, and at busy times the cut-offs are a bit more important, as in the normal (not business premier) queue it can take 20+ minutes to get through it all, and doors often close a few minutes early...
Old Feb 19, 2017, 11:33 am
formerly airedalemom

Programs: AC 25K, AF, Marriott etc......
To be safe 45 minutes. Take into account London traffic to get to St-Pancras.
I always give myself an extra 15 minutes just in case.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 5:35 pm

I took the 7:52a dep last Sat. Arrived at Kings X via the Piccadilly line at about 7:08. Was probably through the security check and immigration by 7:25 max. No lines anywhere.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 12:37 pm

I'm flying BA Biz class in April. Plan to take the Eurostar to Paris. How long should I allow from T5 to St Pancras?
Old Feb 19, 2020, 4:37 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred Plus, Amex Plat
Do you have baggage to collect? Presume you are arriving on an international flight?

By tube, you're looking at approx 1 hour from T5 to St Pancras. A little less by Heathrow Express, but not worth the expense and indirect route in my opinion.

Add 20-50 minutes to get from plane to tube platform, and 10 minutes to get up to the Eurostar check-in at St Pancras. And 30 minimum check in. And 15-30 minutes contingency.

I wouldn't leave anything less than 3 hours. Maybe 2.5 if you have no luggage and are on a domestic flight. 3.5 should be very comfortable and will probably give you some room for a drink at St Pancras (or room for a delay)
Old Feb 20, 2020, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by mad_rich
I wouldn't leave anything less than 3 hours. Maybe 2.5 if you have no luggage and are on a domestic flight. 3.5 should be very comfortable and will probably give you some room for a drink at St Pancras (or room for a delay)
Personally I'd risk a 2hr connection in that direction, but I know the stations well and am someone who likes to cut things fine. I think your suggestions are broadly right.

Of course if OP is arriving at T5 then flying directly to Paris from there would seem a sensible option.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.