Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > European Rail Travel
Reload this Page >

Bavaria Ticket with kids

Bavaria Ticket with kids

Old Nov 25, 2016, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Bavaria Ticket with kids

We have a group of 5 adults plus my two young children. Am I correct that we can get a single Bavaria Ticket for 5 adults for 43 Euros, and the two kids are free because they are my kids traveling with us? Do the kids need to be listed anywhere on the ticket or do we just bring then along?

www.bahn.com/i/view/USA/en/prices/germany-regional/bavaria-ticket.shtml

I've seen a lot of conflicting information about using the Bavaria Ticket with kids on various sites.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 11:59 am

Yes, you are correct.

The horse's mouth (if available!) is always best in situations like these.

DB: One person may bring any number of their own children or grandchildren under 15 with them free of charge. Children up to and including 5 years of age may travel free of charge and without a ticket. For this reason, they are not included when determining the number of persons in a group.
You won't have a problem.
Old Nov 26, 2016, 3:48 am

Be careful. In the german version of the conditions it's specified, that you can only take an unlimited number of children with the ticket for 1 or 2 persons. If you buy a Bayern Ticket for more persons, children from 6 - 14 count as a person (children under 5 never count).

In the english version, you have to take the sentence "One person may bring any number of their own children or grandchildren under 15 with them free of charge" very literally, though it only mention "one person" and not "one or two".

So if your kids are younger than 5, no problem at all, otherwise you have to buy e.g. a ticket for 4 and one for 1 (who then travels with the kids).
Old Nov 26, 2016, 10:10 am

I defer to Fireflyer05.

The English version is ambiguous, but clearly the German version will prevail.
Old Nov 26, 2016, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hyatt Globalist
My older kid is exactly 6, and my memory from travel in Germany a decade ago is that the fare inspectors are not interested in discussion.

Compare this to BART (SF Bay Area) where I have been told multiple times by BART employees to just say that my kid is 4 because it's complicated to buy a child's ticket.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.