Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > European Rail Travel
Reload this Page >

1st or 2nd class train travel

1st or 2nd class train travel

Old Jul 24, 2016, 9:32 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

I am going to move this thread from the Germany Forum to the European Train Travel forum,. where is from my points if view fits better.

There is a redirect

FLYGVA
co-moderator Germany Forum
Old Jul 24, 2016, 1:15 pm

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, IHG plat, DB Comfort, SPG gold
One note on "oversold" trains - actually (with a few exceptions), there is no such thing as "oversold" trains, as you may purchase (full fare) train tickets in Europe without seat reservations which are valid on any train of the given service category (like regional, IC or ICE) during several days (usually 2) for single trips or one month for return journeys. Hence, as many people appreciate the flexibility of those tickets, it is quite likely that more people will actually board a train than the number of abailable seats. This is particularly true when travelling on Fridays or Sundays. Of course, people will have to stand during the ride under such circumstances, both in first and second class.

Double- or multi-selling of seat reservations, however, has become a rare exception in the last few years. Hence, no matter whether you will buy first or second class, it is very advisable to book a seat reservation at a small charge (free for first class within Germany) when you buy the tickets, especially when you are travelling as a non-solo traveller and when you purchase tickets that are only valid on a specific train. Counting on a seat in the restaurant car is a bad idea, as others will have the same idea and, to be honest, it's bad style towards people who actually want to dine on the train.

Whenever you find your reserved seats occupied, try to politely ask the people sitting there to move away (after double and triple checking your reserved seat number, coach number, train number and date of travel). If they refuse, get a conductor to sort things out.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by bruce80
One note on "oversold" trains - actually (with a few exceptions), there is no such thing as "oversold" trains, as you may purchase (full fare) train tickets in Europe without seat reservations which are valid on any train of the given service category (like regional, IC or ICE) during several days (usually 2) for single trips or one month for return journeys. Hence, as many people appreciate the flexibility of those tickets, it is quite likely that more people will actually board a train than the number of abailable seats. This is particularly true when travelling on Fridays or Sundays. Of course, people will have to stand during the ride under such circumstances, both in first and second class.
I think that most will understand the use of "oversold" was meant in the colloquial, not literal sense but it never hurts to remind that, unlike an airline, more people can have tickets than there are actual seats).

I was once traveling between Erfurt and Frankfurt when the train was taken out of service at Eisenach. We were put on the next train to Frankfurt, on which most of the 1.class seats were taken (I did find one of the last open seats). 2.class did overflow, with quite a few standing.

Last edited by Non-NonRev; Jul 24, 2016 at 1:54 pm
Old Jul 25, 2016, 1:28 am

i'm planning a trip to Czech/Germany/Denmark/Netherlands in October and am looking at train options.
I agree that first class is a worthwhile option in or to/from Germany on ICE (IC trains are another matter so check the DB timetable carefully). There are many savings fares which make it advantageous to a leisure traveller.

However travel in Denmark and NL on domestic trains is another matter. The carriages are a bit older and it's sometimes difficult to tell what you are paying for.

Fully endorse travelling 2nd and taking a meal or a beer in the German/CZ dining car which is nicely traditional with table cloths and excellent service
Old Jul 25, 2016, 8:42 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
One note on "oversold" trains - actually (with a few exceptions), there is no such thing as "oversold" trains, as you may purchase (full fare) train tickets in Europe without seat reservations which are valid on any train of the given service category (like regional, IC or ICE)
Just to clarify to those not familiar with how it works, some trains REQUIRE seat reservations, not just tickets to be able to travel (e.g. all of high-speed trains in Spain, Italy, France, UK).
Old Jul 25, 2016, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by Palal
Just to clarify to those not familiar with how it works, some trains REQUIRE seat reservations, not just tickets to be able to travel (e.g. all of high-speed trains in Spain, Italy, France, UK).
At least for the UK this isn't accurate. That you get a seat reservation included when buying an advance ticket =/= a seat reservation is required
Old Jul 25, 2016, 1:25 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Often the most pleasant 1st class upgrades in Germany are on the regional RE/RB/S-carriages where it mostly guarantees a seat even at rush hour.

I spent a layover in the Cologne/Duesseldorf area on my way to and back from China in June and bought the 1st class supplement for each of my train journeys except for one IC ticket Duesseldorf main station to Duesseldorf airport station.

It was rather pleasant and calming to be able to sit down in otherwise full trains and enjoy the views instead of standing in some doorway with the luggage. Highly recommend spending the few extra euros.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by mosburger
Often the most pleasant 1st class upgrades in Germany are on the regional RE/RB/S-carriages where it mostly guarantees a seat even at rush hour.
Wouldn't count on that either - as regional trains tend to be extremely overcrowded during rush hour, many commuters choose to pay the extra euro for a first class monthly ticket for their commute - hence, I'm under the impression that regional trains are even more crowded than long distance trains during rush hour (outside of daily rush hours first class on those trains seems to be more or less empty). Just try to get onto the northbound RE1 or RE3 from Düsseldorf Central around 4pm - you'll hardly find enough standing room on those regional lines even in first class.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 11:14 am

Can someone tell me if you are allowed to use the DB 1st class lounge in the arrival city. i.e Mainz - Cologne 1st class - Can I use the lounge at Cologne ? Also , Cologne - Amsterdam - can I use the NL lounge in AMS on arrival.

Thanks
Old Aug 14, 2016, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by anc305
Can someone tell me if you are allowed to use the DB 1st class lounge in the arrival city. i.e Mainz - Cologne 1st class - Can I use the lounge at Cologne ? Also , Cologne - Amsterdam - can I use the NL lounge in AMS on arrival.

Thanks
You can use the lounge in Cologne on arrival (basically, to access any DB Lounge, you only need a valid first class long distance ticket for the same day, no matter from where to where), but I'm not sure about Amsterdam. As the lounge there is quite small, they will probably not let you in after arrival. In general, lounge admission rules in Germany are more generous than in other European countries.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 1:56 am

In general, lounge admission rules in Germany are more generous than in other European countries.
Except that if you have a first class Interrail or Eurail pass, you won't be allowed into a DB Lounge, whereas in several other countries - Britain, Austria, for example - you will get lounge access.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 11:16 am

Programs: BA Bronze,Accor.Flightdiary.net/liamvad
Where is the cheapest place to but rail tickets for journeys to Germany?
Old Nov 14, 2016, 2:09 pm

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
I believe this site is your friend:

https://www.bahn.de/p_en/view/index.shtml
Old Nov 14, 2016, 2:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by liamvad
Where is the cheapest place to but rail tickets for journeys to Germany?
From where?
Old Nov 14, 2016, 2:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by plinko83
Hi folks,

i'm planning a trip to Czech/Germany/Denmark/Netherlands in October and am looking at train options.

At Bahn.de, train from Prague to Berlin is 19 euro is second class and 79 euro in first class.

My attempt at reading the website makes it seem that first class is a slightly nicer seat and some complimentary light food options.

To me, that's not worth 50 euro.
I'm traveling with one other person, so it's 100 euro actually. I'm not looking to do this trip "on the cheap" as the 100 euro wouldn't change my life or anything, but I am trying to spend my money wisely.

Can anyone comment to me on the differences between 1st and 2nd class, and if i'm correct that the differences are not that extreme. Because I'm traveling with a companion, seat width/having my own direct aisle access seat is slightly less important as I'm unlikely to be seated next to a stranger.

I'll be planning other train travel throughout Germany and Holland - but am trying to piece together each train as it becomes 90 days away. Any advice anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all in advance.
Not to nitpick, but 79-19=60, not 50!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.