Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Night trains in Italy

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2016, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Night trains in Italy

I am thinking of taking a night train from Milan (leaving the Central station at 20:50) and arriving at Lecce the next morning at 08:30, travelling on a 'Super Economy' fare.

What should I expect in terms of seating, space, chances of getting sleep and safety / security?
Old Mar 21, 2016, 5:21 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
As with many European train queries, the man in Seat 61 has a section on Italian sleeper trains, including photos. Based on that, I don't think you really want to have a seat, instead get a couchette. In many ways, a 6 berth couchette is a youth hostel that moves!
Old Mar 21, 2016, 7:42 pm

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
Super economy is just a fare type (cheapest you can get if available). It doesn't say anything about the travel class - you can have a super economy normal seat, a berth in a 6-pax couchette, or even your private compartment! (I believe this starts at 69 EUR one way, if I remember correctly from my last Catania to Rome journey).

While the terms might be confusing (indeed, check seat61.com and their excellent summary what is what, and step by step help with booking) it is actually quite straightforward. Check the options of travel, and then see if there are cheap super eco or economy tickets available!

Italian overnight trains do have a bad rep at some corners of the internet, but this is vastly exaggerated/talked by people who have taken a train decades back. To me, certainly if you can snatch a private compartment (which you can lock from the inside) in advance, it's just a great great deal for that money! Even in shared couchettes its perfectly safe, as other passengers add to security. Just take normal precautions (eg. dont leave a small bag completely unattended in full view close to the door for someone to snatch it easily) and it's all fine really.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.