Wiki Posts
Search

Leaving luggage at Amsterdam Centraal

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2016, 7:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Leaving luggage at Amsterdam Centraal

I've been looking at this website regarding leaving baggage at the train station's lockers: http://www.amsterdam.info/central-st...ggage-lockers/

Are there lockers that are hourly? I won't need an entire day; just maybe 5 hours.

Do the lockers take chip/signature Visa or AMEX? I still can't get a chip/pin cards.

Thanks.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 6:03 am

Pretty sure they don't have any hourly lockers. And based on their pricing structure, they'd probably charge more per hour than paying the 24 hour rate anyway.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 6:48 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
No, it's strictly by 24 hour period. Also, Amex isn't accepted - only Visa and MC, and most likely needing a PIN.

Details here:

http://www.ns.nl/en/travel-informati...e-station.html

If this doesn't work, there is an alternative storage place just off the station island:

http://dropandgo.nl/

Note that Amex isn't at all well accepted in the Netherlands - perhaps in hotels and higher-end restaurants. As there's a well-established local EFTPOS system, credit cards as a whole are frequently not accepted (this is a major pain for, for example, buying train tickets).
Old Jan 13, 2016, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stut
No, it's strictly by 24 hour period. Also, Amex isn't accepted - only Visa and MC, and most likely needing a PIN.
I can only get a chip/signature cards with my Visa and AMEX. So given that my card won't work, I'll have cash (coins) ready.

If this doesn't work, there is an alternative storage place just off the station island:

http://dropandgo.nl/
Which do you like better? Is one quicker/easier/safer? The prices look comparable.

Note that Amex isn't at all well accepted in the Netherlands - perhaps in hotels and higher-end restaurants.
I remember that when I was in Amsterdam in May 2014.

As there's a well-established local EFTPOS system, credit cards as a whole are frequently not accepted (this is a major pain for, for example, buying train tickets).
Since you mentioned train tickets, if I want the 24 hour OV-chipkaart for €7.50, will it cover the train between Hoofddorp and Amsterdam Centraal as well as the bus 858 that links AMS with Keukenhof?
Old Jan 14, 2016, 7:06 am

I'd leave the luggage at the one in the station if you can (the location is more convenient) but have the Drop and Go place as a backup.

The 24-hour ticket is for Amsterdam city limits only, so both Hoofddorp and Keukenhof will be outside the zone (as is Schiphol, for that matter).
Old Jan 14, 2016, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

I'd leave the luggage at the one in the station if you can (the location is more convenient) but have the Drop and Go place as a backup.
Good to know, thank you.

The 24-hour ticket is for Amsterdam city limits only, so both Hoofddorp and Keukenhof will be outside the zone (as is Schiphol, for that matter).
I thought it might be a long shot. Thank you.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

stut, I saw this on the Keukenhof website regarding types of tickets for sale:

Other transport tickets

Apart from the online Combi-tickets you can also travel with the following tickets:

1. OV-chipcard (Dutch public transport contactless smart card)
The OV-chipkaart is valid on all bus and train routes.
http://www.keukenhof.nl/en/plan-your...=1&language=en

If the chipcard is only good within city limits, what is the Keukenhof website talking about? I was going to buy the 24 chipcard anyway. It looks like they're saying that Bus 858 is included. Totally lost....
Old Jan 14, 2016, 11:33 pm

The chipcard is multipurpose - you get single ride disposable ones, 24 hour urban ones, but then also permanent ones that can carry a season ticket and/or a cash balance.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 6:47 am
Original Poster

The chipcard is multipurpose - you get single ride disposable ones, 24 hour urban ones, but then also permanent ones that can carry a season ticket and/or a cash balance.
The confusing part is that if the chipcard is good within the Amsterdam city limits as you said above, why is the park mentioning it as part of a combo ticket. So to clarify, the park's combo ticket does NOT include the 24 hour chip card?
Old Jan 15, 2016, 8:06 am

No, the combi-ticket is for Keukenhof entrance and a round-trip by bus (from various origins) only.

http://www.keukenhof.nl/en/plan-your...lic-transport/

You'd have to buy your 24-hour ticket separately. But it really depends how much you'll be travelling round Amsterdam as to whether the 24-hour ticket is worthwhile. Amsterdam is a very walkable city. Central fares are €1,24 each, so you'd need over 6 journeys in a day to make it worthwhile.

Your alternative is to pick up an anonymous OV-Chipcard on arrival (make sure it's validated for rail journeys too) and put on a balance. This can then be used for any journey - in Amsterdam, to/from Schiphol and to/from Keukenhof - by whatever means you choose. There's a fee of €7,50 for the card, €5 of which is reclaimable if you turn it back in.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

No, the combi-ticket is for Keukenhof entrance and a round-trip by bus (from various origins) only.
Thanks!

You'd have to buy your 24-hour ticket separately. But it really depends how much you'll be travelling round Amsterdam as to whether the 24-hour ticket is worthwhile. Amsterdam is a very walkable city. Central fares are €1,24 each, so you'd need over 6 journeys in a day to make it worthwhile.
If I buy individual ticket fares, isn't there a €1 surcharge per ticket?

Most visitors to the Netherlands and infrequent resident travellers can make do using these single-use tickets. They carry a €1 surcharge in addition to the standard fare.
http://www.amsterdamtips.com/tips/tr...etherlands.php

So if I take at least 4 trips on trams within a 24 hour period, the 24 card will pay for itself. Is that correct?

Your alternative is to pick up an anonymous OV-Chipcard on arrival (make sure it's validated for rail journeys too) and put on a balance. This can then be used for any journey - in Amsterdam, to/from Schiphol and to/from Keukenhof - by whatever means you choose. There's a fee of €7,50 for the card, €5 of which is reclaimable if you turn it back in.
It's my understanding that the card itself costs €7,50 but that's it. The card is essentially empty. To use it, I have to add money to it. If that's the case, I don't want to do that.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 2:28 am

Correct, the card has a deposit of €7,50 - you then add funds. You can get a full refund, subject to a fee of €2,50. Personally, I would do it this way - you have the flexibility of paying for fares in and out of Amsterdam, on all modes of transport, but if you're uncomfortable with the level of stored value, then maybe not.

Yes, if you buy individual tickets, there is a surcharge. Note that if you buy a train ticket from anything other than a ticket machine (and there's only a handful that accept foreign cards), you also pay a surcharge.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 6:34 am
Original Poster

Correct, the card has a deposit of €7,50 - you then add funds. You can get a full refund, subject to a fee of €2,50. Personally, I would do it this way - you have the flexibility of paying for fares in and out of Amsterdam, on all modes of transport, but if you're uncomfortable with the level of stored value, then maybe not.
I just don't want to waste money. I'm the same person who won't pay $1 for a new metrocard in NYC. That said, are you saying that the €7,50 card can be used to purchase train tickets between Hoofddorp and Amsterdam Centraal?

Yes, if you buy individual tickets, there is a surcharge. Note that if you buy a train ticket from anything other than a ticket machine (and there's only a handful that accept foreign cards), you also pay a surcharge.
I don't remember it being like this in May of 2014 when I last visited. Indeed I am aware of the fact that there will be a surcharge if I don't buy from a ticket machine. I'm also aware that the ticket machines are in Dutch only.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 6:17 am

Yes you can use this type of card for any kind of public transport in The Netherlands as long as the balance on the card is sufficient.Just check in and check out at the begin/end point of your journey and ticket prices will be substracted automatically. And if I understand previous poster correctly, there's also the possibilitu to hand the card in again at the end of your stay in The Netherlands and get the remaining deposit back minus €2,50.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by t0t1t2
Yes you can use this type of card for any kind of public transport in The Netherlands as long as the balance on the card is sufficient.Just check in and check out at the begin/end point of your journey and ticket prices will be substracted automatically. And if I understand previous poster correctly, there's also the possibilitu to hand the card in again at the end of your stay in The Netherlands and get the remaining deposit back minus €2,50.
That I could use this card between Hoofddorp and Amsterdam Central as well as train trips to/from Delft or Haarlem or the bus to Keukenhof makes this card more interesting to me. Out of curiosity, does handing in the card to get back the deposit minus €2,50 happen pre or post security at AMS? How much time should one budget to do this as I will be taking a midmorning flight? Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.