Search

Looking for advice on Salzburg to Rome night train

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2015, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold (1MM), AA Gold
Looking for advice on Salzburg to Rome night train

Hi all,

I'm taking my 77-year old mother, my wife, and my three children (8, 11, 14) to Europe for the Christmas holidays, and we are hoping to get from Salzburg to Rome a day or so after Christmas. I would like to take an overnight train for the majority of the journey. I know there is no direct night train, and expect to stage somewhere during the day to catch a direct night train from that city to Rome.

From what I've been able to find online, one option is to get to Munich and take the Munich-Rome night train. Would it make sense to catch this same train in Innsbruck instead of Munich?

I'm not sure what other options might make sense and am open to suggestions.

As for the Munich-Rome train, I've played with the Bahn.com website, and I'm unable to get all 6 of us on the same reservation. I would like to do that so we can get a 6-berth couchette for the trip down. The "more than 5 travelers" selection on the website doesn't work for some reason with three kids (I get some error about incorrect number of travelers as two kids count as one adult). It looks like I can book two separate family reservations (two kids with my wife and me; one kid with grandma), but I'm concerned we might end up in different sleeping compartments. I'm realize I'm too far out in time to book the date I want, but I'm hoping to understand the system so I can jump on the reservation as soon as the time window opens. Is there a trick to getting us all on the same reservation?

Do I need to call someone to make this reservation?

Any advice appreciated,

Austin FF
Old Sep 26, 2015, 11:24 am

Programs: DL PM/KM, AC *G, AS MVP-100K
ÖBB will let you enter 3 adults and 3 children, but won't sell the entire route. Trenitalia limits you to 5 passengers and doesn't appear to show discounted fares. Looks like the best bet is to call DB, or send in their Enquiry Form and they will get back to you with a quote.

Connecting in Munich would be easiest since the CNL originates there; you could board 20-30 minutes before departure and get settled in, as opposed to boarding at a downline station and making up the beds while the train is in motion.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 5:30 am

This will fall under the 2016 timetable which isn't out yet. However, I wouldn't expect much to change on this route. You basically only have one option for the 26th of December and it looks like that:

https://gyazo.com/3064b8967664de3ca71380d87c2db2ec

It involves a relatively lengthy layover in Villach.

If you go on the 27th, that's your best bet:

https://gyazo.com/d60b5effb5206898c32cc92b8567b99c

Again, remember to check again when the 2016 timetable is out (usually at the end of October or beginning of November).

It's easily bookable via ÖBB.
Go here: https://ticketing.oebb.at/inet/pub/en/ticket
Enter your travel itinerary and then at the bottom under "Who is travelling?" you'll see "Group Entry Form". That's where you enter your group's details.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
I'd advise going to Munich to start the CNL journey. I've done this backtracking from Innsbruck as the train's arrival is rather late, to say the least. You could also wait for the train at Rosenheim and Kufstein among other places but it is a wait. Easier to board in Munich (train is at the platform at least 30 minutes in advance) and get settled in.

You may also want to consider a sleeper compartment. They can sleep 3 but are usually sold for two. Not too expensive if you buy in advance.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold (1MM), AA Gold
Follow up

Thought I would follow up with how the trip went. I booked the sleeper train from Munich to Rome about 2.5 months out. Got two sleeper compartments that slept three each. Caught a train from Salzburg back to Munich with an hour and a half to stock up on provisions before the overnight train left. Train ride was great. Wish I would have understood how the bottom bunk lifts up to reveal three seats underneath as all the bunks were set up for sleeping already when we boarded the train. Played cards with kids until midnight and then went to sleep. Train was delayed 3 hours in the middle of the night, so we didn't get to Rome until noon, but we actually appreciated the extra sleeping time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.