Wiki Posts
Search

Piecing Together Train Travel

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2015, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN or DL; Hyatt or Wyndham
Piecing Together Train Travel

Rome to Frankfurt. Have used banh.de and found good prices.

However, can you break out the travel? The routing is generally Rome-Bologna-Munich-Frankfurt. Can you stop in either Bologna or Munich for 24 hours using bahn.de? Every routing I have seen is pretty tight connections.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 3:21 pm

Programs: FB Platinum for Life
Originally Posted by Delta Hog
However, can you break out the travel? The routing is generally Rome-Bologna-Munich-Frankfurt. Can you stop in either Bologna or Munich for 24 hours using bahn.de? Every routing I have seen is pretty tight connections.
Yes. You can use the 'enter stopovers' option under 'further search options' on bahn.de to add stopovers in Bologna and/or Munich. You can choose a stopover of up to 48hours in each location, and still get it to price up as a single Europa-Spezial ticket.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Depends, on some tickets (such as Europa-Spezial) you have to take the trains that you booked otherwise you lose the ticket. But outside Germany, you can usually take whichever train you want. International tickets are valid for 2 weeks. Often, when I am going down to Switzerland, once I get into Switzerland I make stops, some of them for more than 24 hours. Never a problem. But going in the other direction, it is trickier to build stops in without the ticket repricing.

One idea would be to buy a separate ticket to Bologna, then start your ticket booked on the Deutsche Bahn website from there, once you have finished your stay. Tickets within Italy are quite cheap.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 3:18 am
Suspended

But outside Germany, you can usually take whichever train you want. International tickets are valid for 2 weeks.
This is NOT True!!!
In many Italian Long and Medium distance Trains you need an Seat Reservation!
(The same in Spain and France.) You cant board any train.
Rome-Bologna-Munich-Frankfurt.
I would Stop in Innsbruck (Austria) to!!!
Check the Fares on http://ticketing.oebb.at/ to! (From/ to Innsbruck)
Old Jul 9, 2015, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Maybe...my experience is limited to Switzerland, Benelux and France where it is not a problem. Italy may indeed be different.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 2:48 am

There is a difference between having a seat reservation and having a ticket which is for a specific train. A ticket can be for a specific train, while a train can require a reservation.

An example for the differences for the ticket: If you buy a low-fare ticket for a train from Munich to Hamburg you have to take the train you booked, but you don't need a seat reservation. In contrast you can also have a flexible ticket but a seat reservation: you can use any train with it, but you have a guaranteed seat in one of them only.

On the other hand, if a train requires a reservation it doesn't matter which ticket you have, but you need a reservation as well. This often is included in the ticket price, but not always.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 1:52 pm
Suspended

On the other hand, if a train requires a reservation it doesn't matter which ticket you have, but you need a reservation as well. This often is included in the ticket price, but not always.
If a Train requiere a Seat Reservation (Italy, Spain, France, TGV, Thalys,...) its include in the Ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.