Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How does the Swiss Family Card work?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2015, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

How does the Swiss Family Card work?

Our family of four (8 & 13 yr old kids) are heading to Switzerland this June. Do I have to buy a Swiss Pass or Swiss Card for the adults in order to get the Swiss Family Card for the kids? Can I just purchase individual tickets for the adults instead?

I mainly want it for the trip up to Jungfraujoch. I believe our Eurail pass will provide the adults a 25% discount, so it's not really worth buying the Swiss Card for us. If we can still use a Swiss Family Pass for the kids, it's a no-brainer. Especially since the trip to the top is going to depend on the weather.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 8:01 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
You can buy a Swiss Travel Pass online and have it mailed to you. In the online order process, it asks who is travelling and the ages. If you have children under 16, they'll include a Swiss Family Pass with the order and it will be sent as well. The children must travel with at least one adult at all times.

You can place your order based on the number of days you will be using train travel (3-15 days). You can choose first or second class. It's good for buses, boats and trains, but if you take a Panoramic train, you must make a reservation.

Here is the website to place your order:

http://www.swisstravelsystem.com/en/...-overview.html
Old Apr 14, 2015, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Yeah, I get how it works if you buy the Swiss Card / Swiss Travel Pass for the adults. What I want to know is if you have to buy the Swiss Card / Swiss Travel Pass for the adults to use the Swiss Family Pass for the kids, or you can just buy normal tickets.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 11:27 am
Suspended

Swiss Family Card is free!
0 - 6 Year Free Travel
6 > 16 Free with the Swiss Family Card
Old Apr 14, 2015, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

This is the part I'm not clear on:

> Children under age 16 travel free of charge when accompanied by at least one parent holding a Swiss Travel System ticket

What exactly is a "Swiss Travel System ticket"? Is it just a Swiss Pass/Swiss Card or does it also include a plain ticket? Also are the mountain trains, Jungfraujoch in particular, part of the "Swiss Travel System"? Since the Swiss Pass doesn't cover it, I'm thinking perhaps not.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

I think I just found the answer for anyone else who may stumble across this thread. It appears the Family Pass does require the Swiss Pass/Card, not a normal ticket. However there is a 1yr Junior Travel Card that you can buy for CHF 30 that covers allows them to travel on all trains for free with a paid adult, including normal tickets and mountain trains I believe.

http://www.myswissalps.com/juniortravelcard

I plan on picking up two of those in Spiez, then just pay cash for the adult tickets while in Switzerland (with 25% Eurail discount) instead of getting the Swiss Pass/Card. Do I need to "buy" (for free) tickets for the kids using the Junior card so they'll have a proper head count on the trains or just show the card itself?
Old Apr 14, 2015, 12:55 pm
Suspended

... why the show on the Picture an Vienna S-bahn Car?!
https://www.sbb.ch/en/travelcards-an...dchildren.html
Old Apr 16, 2015, 12:34 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jzongker
Our family of four (8 & 13 yr old kids) are heading to Switzerland this June. Do I have to buy a Swiss Pass or Swiss Card for the adults in order to get the Swiss Family Card for the kids? Can I just purchase individual tickets for the adults instead?

I mainly want it for the trip up to Jungfraujoch. I believe our Eurail pass will provide the adults a 25% discount, so it's not really worth buying the Swiss Card for us. If we can still use a Swiss Family Pass for the kids, it's a no-brainer. Especially since the trip to the top is going to depend on the weather.
Getting to Jungfrau is very expensive (the last stretch is all through a tunnel--no scenery), but doing it once should be nice. The weather in Interlaken might be perfect, but not so nice at the top! Try to pick a day with great weather.
The first two trips up and afternoon trips (depending on the time of year) are discounted--I don't know if the EP will give you a second discount on top of that. At http://www.jungfrau.ch/en/tourism/ there's lots of important info.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 8:33 am
Suspended

Train or Car?
Old Jun 28, 2015, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

The Swiss Jr Card worked out perfectly! It costs 30 Franks per kid, but that saved us probably $250 per kid. It covered ALL of our trains in Switzerland, including up Jungfrau and our train to Germany (including Germany only legs). The adults do not need a travel pass to use it, we just bought normal tickets for ourselves. Just wait until you get there and buy them from the first train station you arrive at.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.