new Gotthard line

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2015, 11:44 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
new Gotthard line

In other threads here, the current route which spirals around the Wassen Church is discussed.
The new line is set to open in early June of 2016; from reading various sources, they are boring a full tunnel (35+ miles long) terminating in Erstfeld (a stop on the current line).
Won't they still have to maintain some service on the current routing, to allow the Goeschenen-Andermatt connection to the line between Brig and Chur--or will they use a bus?
Old Apr 13, 2015, 11:49 am
Suspended

http://fahrplan.sbb.ch/bin/help.exe/...owmap_external
Old Apr 13, 2015, 7:15 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
The referenced page is related to "current" rail traffic info.
My question (in #1) is related to how they will make the connection between Goeschenen and Andermatt AFTER the new Gotthard tunnel is completed, over one year from now.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 12:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
The new Lötschberg tunnel has been in service for a couple of years now but they kept the old line in service. It's used for local traffic and trains not certified to use the high-speed lines with new signalling. I guess it's also available as backup during maintenance operations.
I would guess that similar arrangements will apply to the new Gotthard line.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 1:38 pm

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Originally Posted by catandmouse
The new Lötschberg tunnel has been in service for a couple of years now but they kept the old line in service. It's used for local traffic and trains not certified to use the high-speed lines with new signalling. I guess it's also available as backup during maintenance operations.
I would guess that similar arrangements will apply to the new Gotthard line.
Indeed, there's a good bit of tourist traffic on the north side. Plus there is a train from Göschonen to Andermatt, where you can connect to the Glacier Express. On the south side there is the tourist traffic as well, plus the traffic to the hockey games in Ambri-Piotta from Locarno and Bellinzona.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.