Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > European Rail Travel
Reload this Page >

SNCF rejecting Credit Card payments?

SNCF rejecting Credit Card payments?

Old Apr 25, 2015, 11:57 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by SF_trotter
I tried using Visa/MC cards from Chase, Capital One and Barclay last night, all were rejected.

Switched over to capitainetrain, which didn't have problems with Cap One or Barclay, but needed additional verification of the Chase card.

Chase cards seem to be blacklisted on many non US websites - I couldn't use then to purchase Indian Raul tickets either.
I think it's not the non-US websites blacklising Chase, it's Chase blacklisting the non-US websites. Chase is the worst I've found for International transactions (because they deny most of them or shut your card down when you make one and you have to call in to confirm the denied charge to re-activate).

In 2013 I tried to purchase on SNCF with a few Visa's in my wallet and the standard Visa's I tried were all denied. I finally got the charge to go through using my combination ATM card/Visa card which pretty much is an ATM card with a Visa number attached so if you don't have the funds in your account the charge probably isn't going through but I had the funds and the charge went through when none of the other standard Visa cards would.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 2:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
I had a very frustrating experience last summer at Gare du Nord in Paris. I needed RER E (operated by SNCF) tickets for family. Unfortunately, there was a rail strike, so only one of three manned ticket offices was open -- it had a very long line.

The automated machines rejected my USA-issued credit cards, and they did not accept paper currency. I didn't have much in euro coins. Several subway scammers spotted me having difficulty and offered me their "help". Merci, non.

Eventually I figured out a plan that worked: buy a minor item at a store and ask for lots of change in 2-euro coins. I could have saved my family 40 minutes or so if I had started with that plan.
Old May 14, 2016, 2:34 pm

I've read that SCNF doesn't take US credit cards - they want you to buy through subsidiary raileurope instead.

If part of the leg is in Germany, you can buy direct through dbahn.de, they accept US cards, and I've bought through them. Otherwise - Captain Train to the rescue!.

Last edited by AONwheels; May 27, 2016 at 8:11 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.