Search

Question about train tickets - NS.nl

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2015, 10:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: GlobalEntry, TSA Pre✓
Question about train tickets - NS.nl

Hey guys, looking for a bit of help with a question:

Going to be doing Frankfurt-Cologne-Brussels-Amsterdam next month and I'm probably just going to buy the p2p tickets as it seems like a better deal and I don't mind scheduling my trips ahead of time on the Bahn.de site.

However, on the NS segment between BRU-AMS, booking via NS.nl, the ticket is 42EUR/pp. If I buy that ticket, can I stop get off in Antwerp and/or Rotterdam and catch the next IC train that comes through?
Old Feb 23, 2015, 1:35 am

Programs: FB Platinum for Life
Originally Posted by pixitha
However, on the NS segment between BRU-AMS, booking via NS.nl, the ticket is 42EUR/pp. If I buy that ticket, can I stop get off in Antwerp and/or Rotterdam and catch the next IC train that comes through?
If Brussels-Amsterdam is on the InterCity (not Thalys) then the ticket should be valid on any InterCity train on that route for that day (ie: it's not tied to a specific train). However, I am not sure if this allows break-of-journey en route.

If you know you want to break your journey, then you could just get two (or three) separate tickets to start with. For example, www.belgianrail.be shows Brussels - Antwerp for €7.30, and www.nsinternational.nl shows Antwerp - Amsterdam for €31.40 - so a total slightly less than buying a direct Brussels - Amsterdam ticket. However, I think the €7.30 Brussels - Antwerp ticket is NOT valid via Brussels Airport - so you couldn't use it on the Brussels - Antwerp (- Amsterdam) train; you'd have to use a domestic service Brussels - Antwerp that avoids Brussels Airport.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by KQ321
If Brussels-Amsterdam is on the InterCity (not Thalys) then the ticket should be valid on any InterCity train on that route for that day (ie: it's not tied to a specific train). However, I am not sure if this allows break-of-journey en route.
What the OP wants to do is just fine and he won't have a problem. With normal trains you can hop off mid-way and hop back on again later that day without a problem. If you buy a ticket from Brussels to Amsterdam for a particular day, you can take any normal non-supplement, non-Thalys train route you wish to.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 11:09 am

Programs: TK Elite ...and blue, lots of blue...
Originally Posted by stimpy
What the OP wants to do is just fine and he won't have a problem. With normal trains you can hop off mid-way and hop back on again later that day without a problem. If you buy a ticket from Brussels to Amsterdam for a particular day, you can take any normal non-supplement, non-Thalys train route you wish to.
I know this is common practice and risk of getting a fine is minimal, but it is formally not allowed to get off the train and continue on a later train. If your ticket has been checked on the first part of your trip it will be marked and you can get caught. The proper way is getting two separate tickets or a "Via" ticket (Brussels - Amsterdam Via Antwerp).
Also: if merely passing by Brussels Airport (not getting off) you will not need to pay the supplement so don't let that limit your choice of trains.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: GlobalEntry, TSA Pre✓
So, Brussels-Nord - Amsterdam Centraal via Rotterdam Centraal should be ok? I would get off the train at Rotterdam and then board one in a few hours later.

Old Feb 24, 2015, 2:58 am

Programs: TK Elite ...and blue, lots of blue...
Originally Posted by pixitha
So, Brussels-Nord - Amsterdam Centraal via Rotterdam Centraal should be ok? I would get off the train at Rotterdam and then board one in a few hours later.
Yes, as you switch trains in Rotterdam it's safe to skip a few trains and hop on a later one.
Also, as you are not getting off the train at Brussels airport, the supplement doesn't apply to your ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.