Search

BRU to Amsterdam train

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2015, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
BRU to Amsterdam train

Hi all, I am arriving at BRU (Zavantem, main airport) and planning to take the train to Amsterdam central train station. I checked online and my only option to book online from BRU airport to Amsterdam central train station at the b-Europe.com site is from the BRU airport (Brussel Nat Luchthaven) to Antwerpen Centraal, and then connect to the Thalys train to Amsterdam. I assume this is the most straightforward way (and seemingly the only one to book online through and through from BRU to Amsterdam central train station). (Alternatively, I guess I can go on my own to one of Brussel's main strain station and take the Thalys directly from there to Amsterdam, but I would rather avoid this and go with the only safe combo available online, via Antwerp).

My question is this:

I have two choices for train times, one leaves 40 min after my flight's arrival, and the other 1h and 40min. I would rather take the first one, but I am not sure if 40 minutes is enough to collect one checked bag, pass passport control, and get to the airport train station, which is supposedly at the lover level of the airport. This is my first time at BRU, so I am not familiar with the airport. The flight is from within EU, so likely no passport control at all at BRU, I assume. Is 40 minutes enough for this? I will probably have non-flex Thalys tickets and will be with company, so if we miss that train we may be out of luck (and even with semi-flex tickets there might not be last minutes seats on the next train--travelling late spring).

What do you guys think?
Old Jan 21, 2015, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by nk15
Hi all, I am arriving at BRU (Zavantem, main airport) and planning to take the train to Amsterdam central train station. I checked online and my only option to book online from BRU airport to Amsterdam central train station at the b-Europe.com site is from the BRU airport (Brussel Nat Luchthaven) to Antwerpen Centraal, and then connect to the Thalys train to Amsterdam. I assume this is the most straightforward way (and seemingly the only one to book online through and through from BRU to Amsterdam central train station). (Alternatively, I guess I can go on my own to one of Brussel's main strain station and take the Thalys directly from there to Amsterdam, but I would rather avoid this and go with the only safe combo available online, via Antwerp).

My question is this:

I have two choices for train times, one leaves 40 min after my flight's arrival, and the other 1h and 40min. I would rather take the first one, but I am not sure if 40 minutes is enough to collect one checked bag, pass passport control, and get to the airport train station, which is supposedly at the lover level of the airport. This is my first time at BRU, so I am not familiar with the airport. The flight is from within EU, so likely no passport control at all at BRU, I assume. Is 40 minutes enough for this? I will probably have non-flex Thalys tickets and will be with company, so if we miss that train we may be out of luck (and even with semi-flex tickets there might not be last minutes seats on the next train--travelling late spring).

What do you guys think?
There is no need to book the train online and no need to pay for the expensive Thalys train, as there is an intercity train every hour from Brussels airport to Amsterdam with no change of trains. Buy the ticket at the Brussels airport station. You can see the schedule on bahn.de.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Track
There is no need to book the train online and no need to pay for the expensive Thalys train, as there is an intercity train every hour from Brussels airport to Amsterdam with no change of trains. Buy the ticket at the Brussels airport station. You can see the schedule on bahn.de.
The direct IC train seems available only from Brussels Midi (not the BRU airport), and it is 3 hours and 20 minutes, and it costs 42 euro. The Thalys train (with the connection) is only 2 hours, much better train, with reserved seats, and costs only 40 euro. I have a long flight plus car drive before my flight plus the train ride, so I want minimize the time and hassle as much as possible, so the IC train doesn't help much.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 6:58 pm

Programs: FB Platinum for Life
Originally Posted by Track
+1.

The Thalys option takes 2 hrs - but involves a change in Antwerp, and ties you to a specific train. Meanwhile, the 'classic' InterCity train takes 2h53 - but is direct, and with a service every hour, you can just hop on the next available train.

If you want to buy in advance, it should be possible to buy a self-print ticket for the InterCity from NS International, which is valid on any (non-Thalys) train that day, for ~€45.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Note that it is very new that the IC train is stopping at BRU. I think it only went into effect a week ago, right? But in any case that is the best choice. It's 2h53min and as posted above just walk up and buy a ticket at the airport station. No need to reserve in advance.

If you want power at your seat, reserve first class.

IMHO the best site to look these things up is ns.nl
Old Jan 22, 2015, 9:11 pm

Just to confirm what stimpy is saying: the IC train to Amsterdam now stops at BRU airport (since mid-december). It leaves at xx.11, every hour.
Yes, it's slower than Thalys. But it's direct, and you don't need reservations (so you don't have to worry about your plane arriving late).
Old Jan 22, 2015, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Ok, thanks for the info, but I am concerned for not having reservations, we are 3 people with luggage and want to sit together in a 4-seater with a table. This is for a Friday noon in late Spring, likely very busy season (with lots of tourists probably headed to Amsterdam for the weekend) and sounds very risky not to have confirmed seats. What are my options here with the IC?
Old Jan 22, 2015, 10:03 pm

From experience I'd say that the train can be pretty full on a Friday afternoon, but not yet at noon. In any case, BRU is the 2nd stop on the train's route. So even if it fills up later on, you'll already have your seats.
But if you really need a real table, Thalys is your only option. The 4-seaters on the IC only have a small table at the window. But is this really important enough to lose flexibility over it, and add a connection to your trip?
Old Jan 22, 2015, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Koby
From experience I'd say that the train can be pretty full on a Friday afternoon, but not yet at noon. In any case, BRU is the 2nd stop on the train's route. So even if it fills up later on, you'll already have your seats.
But if you really need a real table, Thalys is your only option. The 4-seaters on the IC only have a small table at the window. But is this really important enough to lose flexibility over it, and add a connection to your trip?
No, a real table is not important, as long as we can seat together in a 4-seater, ideally. We will almost certainly catch the 12:11 IC (except for a substantial flight delay), but I am a little nervous without reserved seats, although you're saying we should be fine, right?. Other than this the Thalys looks cooler, it is a little cheaper, and will get us there 20 min earlier, but it also requires a connection, and if we miss it (in case of a major flight delay, such as more than 80 minutes), then we need to buy new tickets.

I am still somewhat undecided but leaning towards the IC. If Thalys had a direct train, I would have gone with that for sure.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can buy 1st class on the IC to be more sure of a comfortable situation and less chance of crowding. But really the noon train should not be overly full at all.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 12:42 pm

Programs: FB Platinum for Life
Note there aren't many bays of 4 on the IC, as the seats are generally airline layout. Second clas is 2+2, so has 2 bays of 4 in the middle of the carriage. First class is 1+2 seating, so only has 1 bay of 4, plus 2 individual seats facing each other. AFAIK it isn't possible to make seat reservations in either class on the IC but I might be wrong.

Personally, I'd still choose the IC, for the ticket flexibility and avoidance of a connection.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I am probably going to book 2nd class on the IC. We'll likely have a 28 inch high upright rollaboard with us (dimensions 20 x 28 x 12 inches, that is, a little wide), is there a luggage rack or similar luggage space on the IC? I think I read somewhere you put luggage between the seats or something...

I couldn't find a seatmap of the Brussels IC anywhere.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes there is plenty of luggage space on both the IC and Thalys. And there are plenty of "4-seat" tables on the Thalys in first class. As I often book last minute I often get stuck in those seats which I hate. You are always jostling your feet against the stranger opposite you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.