Wiki Posts
Search

frankfurt to munich?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2014, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: Diamond Medallion, Delta Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist
frankfurt to munich?

flying to germany for the first time and I need to travel between frankfurt and munich. What is the best way to go? I'm leaning towards taking the rail so I can see the countryside during the ride. I don't know which rail line or website to even go to though.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 10:55 am

Programs: FB Platinum for Life
Trains are operated by Deutsche Bahn, and their website will show train times and sell tickets (which you can print at home - unlike airline tickets, you actually need to take the print-out with you).

You presumably want to go from 'Frankfurt(M) Flughafen Fernbf' (Frankfurt Airport long-distance train station) to 'München Hbf' (Munich main station).

Full fare one-way is €101. However, if you book in advance, you should be able to get a SparPreis fare for somewhat less than that - although that then commits you to travel on a specific train (so leave sufficient leeway after the ETA of your flight).

More general information on rail travel in Germany is available at Seat61
Old Sep 16, 2014, 10:52 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by KQ321
Full fare one-way is €101.
Slightly off-topic, but noticed a quirk I haven't seen before while doing a dummy search: a full-fare ticket on the EC trains for this route is €19 cheaper than one for ICE service. Are you obligated to travel on an EC service when booking such a ticket, or could OP theoretically hop on an ICE and still save a few bucks? I would suspect the latter, but I can't remember the last time I traveled long-distance on anything other than a Spar-Ticket.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 12:29 am

Programs: FB Platinum for Life
Originally Posted by linglingfool
a full-fare ticket on the EC trains for this route is €19 cheaper than one for ICE service. Are you obligated to travel on an EC service when booking such a ticket, or could OP theoretically hop on an ICE and still save a few bucks?
As far as I know, full fare tickets are only valid for the booked type of service (plus anything lower). So, an IC/EC ticket would also be valid on RE trains, but not ICEs. In the left-hand side of the ticket, it has printed 'IC/EC' (or 'ICE' or whatever) to show what category it is valid on.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 6:56 am
Suspended

if the ticket is a "Sparpreis" in 99% you must take this Train (like an Airline Ticket).
And the Germans have different Fares:
ICE -> EC/ IC -> IRE, RE, REX, R,... -> Local "Verbund" Tickets (Please Note you need an aditional Ticket für Local Transport in the city!)
Old Sep 17, 2014, 7:25 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
You can also see if your airline participates in the Rail+Fly scheme:

http://www.bahn.com/i/view/GBR/en/pr..._and_fly.shtml

The price is significantly cheaper than the full fare, and gives you the flexibility to travel on any train (except the ICE Sprinter services) in a given direction.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:53 am
Suspended

But you need an International Flight for!
Old Sep 17, 2014, 11:03 am

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by KQ321
As far as I know, full fare tickets are only valid for the booked type of service (plus anything lower). So, an IC/EC ticket would also be valid on RE trains, but not ICEs. In the left-hand side of the ticket, it has printed 'IC/EC' (or 'ICE' or whatever) to show what category it is valid on.
I suppose that makes sense, I just couldn't find anything before actually completing the booking that mentions equipment class for a full-fare ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.