Salzburg - Zurich - Lucerne: Seats?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Salzburg - Zurich - Lucerne: Seats?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2014, 10:19 am
Suspended

do you ever try the 2class in the railjet?
Old Jul 29, 2014, 1:59 pm

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Originally Posted by pkerr
I'm assuming that at Zurich I just hop on the train and plop myself down in the appropriate class of travel that I have purchased?
Yes. First class will be towards the east (closed) end of the HB, Second class will be towards the west.

The trains are generally the double-decker trains. There is also one train per hour that runs from the tunnel downstairs, which is older stock, with single floor cars. It's not as nice, but would have more seats as people tend to avoid it. The older train also makes fewer stops along the way. Even at that it tends to run late. First class on the older train tends to be in the middle of the train.

I often travel on the double-decker train to work. It can get crowded in all classes during rush hour. Sometimes there are people sitting on the stairs, but generally seats can be found, especially when starting in Zürich or Luzern.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
I'm starting in Lucerne but switch trains in Zurich. So is still have to deal with possible crowds and seating issues?
Old Jul 30, 2014, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by greg5
First class on the older train tends to be in the middle of the train.
Strike that, I saw the train today, and first class was at the east end of the train in the tunnel.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by pkerr
I'm starting in Lucerne but switch trains in Zurich. So is still have to deal with possible crowds and seating issues?
If you're traveling during rush-hour the there could be seating issues. But if you're starting in Zürich you should be okay. Zürich-Bern is the worst for loads. But, again, it's mostly bad only during rush hour. The SBB website shows expected loads for various trains, and that can be useful.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 4:21 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Originally Posted by ToGo
do you ever try the 2class in the railjet?
Yep, second class, economy whatever you want to call it i've travelled in it. And I thought it was perfectly reasonable for a journey of up to three hours or so provided you didn't need to work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.