Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > European Rail Travel
Reload this Page >

Train from Zurich Airport to Geneva

Old Apr 13, 2014, 2:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub

Hello,

I am visiting Geneva Switzerland this coming July for my holidays. The airline that I use unfortunately does not fly direct to Geneva but to Zurich instead. The landing time will be 8AM in the morning at Zurich. I heard that it is possible to take a train from Zurich Airport to Geneva and that the train station is connected to the airport. Is this correct?

Can someone advise me how to do it and is it convenient? How frequent are the trains and do I need to book the ticket in advance? And are the trains luggage friendly? I am expected to have a big luggage bag with me due to a 2 weeks long trip.

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 6:09 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Diamond Amb, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
I can start answering some of those questions:
-Yes the train station is connected to the airport, and it is easy to get to
-There are one or 2 direct trains per hour, you can see the times here (some of them have a connection though)
-There is a service to ship your luggage if you are worried that you will have problems on the train, I am not sure how busy it will be, but I don't think that you will have a problem taking it with you. If you decide to ship it, look here, it should cost 22CHF per luggage item.
-It seems that the price of the tickets are the same if you buy them on the spot or in advance, so you can easily get a ticket from the airport train station.

It would not be as nice as a train ride, but you could always book a flight, Etuhad regional has half price tickets if you book today costing 74CHF including one item of checked luggage (cheaper than the train)
Old Apr 14, 2014, 1:22 pm

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, IHG plat, DB Comfort, SPG gold
As long as you avoid taking the S Bahn service from ZRH to Zrich HB (changing there to a service to Geneva) which uses Stadler KISS or Siemens Class 514 double-decker EMUs (where you'd possible have to haul your carryons up the stairs where there's not too much space to stow it), you should be fine regarding your baggage.

The airport railway station is connected to the terminal, but it's quite a trek to get there, as the station is across the road from the terminal. Upon arrival, follow the signage towards the station downwards, and after a walk of maybe 5 to 10 minutes, you'll end up at the stairs down to the platforms (near Check-in 3). There are both a ticket office and ticket vending machines right next to the escalators.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.