Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > European Rail Travel
Reload this Page >

Virgin Trains - price gouging 2 months in advance?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2014, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP

I tried looking for a cheap oneway ticket from London to Manchester for Sunday June 1st. I thought that tickets , if bought in advance, especially on a weekend, would be relatively cheap. I wanted a train after 6pm.

But no, the 'special' is going for about 70 quid in 2nd class.

What is going on?

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Apr 7, 2014 at 5:59 pm
Old Apr 7, 2014, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Can't answer your question about why but it seems they've got the demand for the pricing.

Megabus takes longer but is priced at 6 GBP and has 18:00 and 18:30 departures.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 9:37 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
In my limited experience cheap tickets on weekends, and particularly later on Sundays, tend to sell fast and become expensive quickly on UK trains. And the trains are packed.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 9:43 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
Monday, May 26 is a bank holiday, and that whole week is spring holiday for English schools. So there will be a lot of leisure travelers wanting to get home on Sunday night after visiting London.

Given the complicated pricing structure for British trains, it may be cheaper to buy two tickets: one from London to an intermediate point, and another one from there. I know you used to be able to do this without actually breaking your journey--I don't know if that's still true. There's a website devoted solely to recommending how to do this on various routes, but of course I forget the name and don't have it bookmarked. Sorry. I'd guess that one of the British FTers would know.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 1:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
I tried looking for a cheap oneway ticket from London to Manchester for Sunday June 1st. I thought that tickets , if bought in advance, especially on a weekend, would be relatively cheap. I wanted a train after 6pm.

But no, the 'special' is going for about 70 quid in 2nd class.

What is going on?
Sun evenings are usually peak weekend travel time (it's usually best to travel early afternoon on Sun to get the cheaper fares) but as has been already said, it's a holiday weekend so Sun is expensive (by comparison, if you travelled on Sat evening that weekend it would only cost £12.50).

It often used to be cheaper to buy a return instead of a single. I did a quick check on Virgin's website and it still is. If you travel LON-MAN on Sun 1 June after 6pm and book your "fantasy" return for MAN-LON the following Sat, your total ticket price will be £52.35, saving you around £25 on the single fare.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 7:54 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor Plat, IHG Diamond
The last time that I took this trip I stopped in Stafford and it was way cheaper (plus I had business there), looking at the day you are wanting (leaving just before 6pm, nothing later unfortunetly) I found this:

London Euston - Stafford (17:50 - 20:18) £23,50
Stafford - Manchester Picadilly (20:37 - 21:40) £7,20

It takes 3 hours 50 (almost double the time that the direct Virgin train takes). You can try other connection points, to look into the timetables and prices I find it quite easy to use The Train Line but they do charge you to buy the tickets so you should buy them elsewhere.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:48 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor Plat, IHG Diamond
Just saw that it could actually be cheaper to fly instead:
Virgin Atlantic from LHR to Man is £53,30 on that day, you have a flight leaving at 17:05 and one at 20:45 (flight time is planned at 1 hour)
Old Apr 9, 2014, 6:51 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Advance fares haven't been released for that date yet - I suspect VT are still waiting for confirmation of engineering works from Network Rail. What you're seeing is the walk-up, off-peak fare.

I'd suggest looking at http://www.virgintrains.co.uk/tickets-offers/ and clicking on "Find out when to buy Advance tickets". This will tell you when they are released - this is typically on a Friday morning (BST).
Old Apr 24, 2014, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Thanks guys. I found out a way though... bought a oneway from London to Crewe for £23 and a oneway from Crewe to Manchester for £9 on same train.

But now I see they have dropped the prices and the oneway to Manchester is available for £35.

I usually take the bus. But I would have just spent the whole day in a seminar near Euston station and can't face the bus (especially Megabus).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.