Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > European Rail Travel
Reload this Page >

Eurostar Ticket Information

Old Mar 22, 2014, 5:29 am
Original Poster

Several months ago I booked a Eurostar trip with a friend, non-flexible non-exchangable tickets, to travel next week. Unfortunately work commitments mean that my friend now can’t travel. Another friend is interested in travelling instead but that raises other problems.

I have spoken to Eurostar who officially say that nothing can be done but unofficially the employee pointed out that the only place that names on tickets might be matched with passports is at Brussels/Paris (and possibly also St Pancras) inbound by the UK Border Agency. They also noted that the Border Agency is concerned with stopping illegals not UK nationals coming back into UK and that the info on Eurostar tickets does not relate to Advanced Passenger Information (API) as used by airlines as no passport or nationality info is sought when booking tickets.

Additionally I work for the UK Government and have regular dealings with UK diplomats in Brussels. I am aware that many of them have used Eurostar tickets in names other than their own, apparently without any issues. Furthermore there are websites in France and Belgium which resell Eurostar tickets; presumably while non-contract compliant such resale must be non-problematic or such sites would not exist – true or false?

I know this site does not encourage anything illegal but would just ask if anyone has experience of travelling on Eurostar recently using in tickets in names other than their own and, if so, did any problems arise? My second friend is keen to come but concerned he could end up stranded abroad!

I would appreciate any advice.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 8:07 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
I have never done this myself (I want the Frequent Traveller points) but know people who have.

It usually works, but every so often they will do a random check of passenger names just before you reach the check-in machines at St Pancras or the Gare du Nord (don't know about Brussels). If you are caught, they will just take the ticket and turn you away (they are quite accustomed to people doing this, which is one of the reasons they make random checks). Generally, I would give people an 80% to 90% chance of success with this method (but, again, I don't do it myself, and I'm not advocating it here).
Old Mar 27, 2014, 3:46 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
I have done this - even with a manual inspection, and a ticket from someone a different sex to me.

However, it's not foolproof. As ExpatExp notes, there are spot checks. The question is - what is your backup plan if it goes wrong? There are other ways to travel for cheaper at the last minute (train/ferry/train, iDBus, LCC) if it comes to it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.