Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > European Rail Travel
Reload this Page >

SNCF - Not seeing trains >55 days out

Old Mar 17, 2014, 7:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold

Based off info @ seat61.com, I was expecting to be see the schedule at least 90 days in advance. I'm not seeing that, and I'm trying to determine if it's normal, or if it indicates some other issue.

I'm currently looking for Bayeux->Paris. The last date I can see a direct train is 13 May. I've looked at a number of dates after this.

Looking for Paris->Bayeux, I can see direct trains through the end of May.

Is there some search nuance that I'm missing here?

I'm using http://en.voyages-sncf.com.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Based off some info on Rail Europe, I suspect that these may not be showing because of planned work on the line.

http://www.microsofttranslator.com/b...2FDefault.aspx

But I'm not able to find any plans for work on the Cherbourg-Caen-Lisieux-Paris line in this time period. Is there something I'm missing?

I also was able to find the trains on the FR version of the SNCF website (EN version didn't display them). It shows the routes as "Non ouvert" (unopened). Does this really mean not open for sale yet, or sold out? Seems like a popular vacation time, so I think it's odd that they wouldn't yet be open for sale. But at the same time, if the train was sold out, I'd assume they'd be specific about that.

Any help here would be appreciated.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 12:51 am
Original Poster

I was not able to determine what the cause was, but all of a sudden many more dates in May are available now. Their "best fare finder" calendar isn't updated yet, but I was able to individually search for the necessary dates.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 8:39 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
It takes quite a bit of digging to discover what's going on regarding reconstruction and modernization of various lines. Last July, a ton of lines around Grenoble were shut down due to a huge electrification project. Really messed up my plans to go car-free on my Tour de France trip! I eventually did a bunch of searches in French for rail work renovation etc and figured it all out. Also, the site will typically list buses instead of trains... that's another dead giveaway.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.