Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > European Rail Travel
Reload this Page >

Munich to Vienna w/ stop in Salzburg... best way?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2014, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond

We'd like to head out of Munich in the AM, and spend a half day or so in Salzburg, leaving in the late afternoon and arriving in Vienna in the evening. Can this be accomplished on one ticket cheaper than buying 2 separate tickets?
Old Mar 5, 2014, 5:35 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Yes, and pretty easy to do. Go to bahn.com and click on "Further search options". Underneath the destination field, you'll notice there is an option to enter stopovers. If you enter Salzburg with your desired layover time, your options will appear. Entering a 6 hour layover yields a train leaving Munich at 8:15am, arriving Salzburg at 10:00am, and then departing at 4pm for a 6:30pm arrival in Vienna. Purchased far enough in advance, the tickets can be had for €39. That's the cheapest you'll find if you booked the trains separately, and depending on your travel date can be cheaper than the late afternoon Salzburg-Vienna leg alone.

Both segments have hourly departures (Munich-Salzburg alternates between the German EC train and the Austrial railjet), so you can adjust that schedule as you wish for different timing.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond
Originally Posted by linglingfool
Yes, and pretty easy to do. Go to bahn.com and click on "Further search options". Underneath the destination field, you'll notice there is an option to enter stopovers. If you enter Salzburg with your desired layover time, your options will appear. Entering a 6 hour layover yields a train leaving Munich at 8:15am, arriving Salzburg at 10:00am, and then departing at 4pm for a 6:30pm arrival in Vienna. Purchased far enough in advance, the tickets can be had for €39. That's the cheapest you'll find if you booked the trains separately, and depending on your travel date can be cheaper than the late afternoon Salzburg-Vienna leg alone.

Both segments have hourly departures (Munich-Salzburg alternates between the German EC train and the Austrial railjet), so you can adjust that schedule as you wish for different timing.

Perfect thanks! Got them for €49 each (next week) and looks like we're going to be on the railjet for both.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 10:21 am
Suspended

oh for the next time its cheaper when you buy a "Bayern Ticket":
First class prices:
-1 person: EUR 34,50
-2 people: EUR 50.00
-3 people: EUR 65.50
-4 people: EUR 81.00
-5 people: EUR 96.50
http://www.bahn.com/i/view/DEU/en/pr...r-ticket.shtml
and a seperate ticket from the öbb.

And i hope you got a 1Class Ticket if not that will be an horrible ride...

Please note you can not take any Westbahn Train!
Old Mar 13, 2014, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by ToGo
oh for the next time its cheaper when you buy a "Bayern Ticket":
First class prices:
-1 person: EUR 34,50
-2 people: EUR 50.00
-3 people: EUR 65.50
-4 people: EUR 81.00
-5 people: EUR 96.50
http://www.bahn.com/i/view/DEU/en/pr...r-ticket.shtml
and a seperate ticket from the öbb.
you
And i hope you got a 1Class Ticket if not that will be an horrible ride...

Please note you can not take any Westbahn Train!
I'm not sure why you continually insist that riding anywhere but first class will be a "horrible" ride. Second class is quite comfortable, especially for a ride of two hours. I find it strange that you would buy a first-class Bayern-Ticket which restricts you to non-express trains that take longer to get to your destination, as opposed to an option that would get you there sooner on (usually) nicer rolling stock.

Also, a combination of Bayern-Ticket and ÖBB ticket is not always cheaper than buying everything on one ticket, especially when looking at a specific itinerary or when booking far enough in advance.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 4:01 am
Suspended

Dont forgett you dont need an Ticket for the Public Transport in Munich (and other City) that is not cheap... So you safe the Money for Public Transport Ticket and when you travel white some other the Price will be cheaper like 25€ each.

Do you ever take the Railjet?
In Austria it call "Quail Jet" like "Torture Jet" because the Seats in the 2Class are so horrible.
Noisy, only 1 Power Socket, less space,... (i cant all translate what the say about the 2Class)
Old Mar 14, 2014, 2:24 pm

Programs: Compulsory Traveller
I've taken the Railjet from Munich all the way to Budapest and Vienna a few times in 2nd class and had quite a nice experience. Can't recollect any problems with the seats.

1st class is quite nice on the ICE trains if you can get a good price; for regional trains it's only worth it for long rides on completely crowded trains IMO.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 2:30 pm

Programs: 8 mm lifetime,1K, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
1st class is the best way. With Second class, there is not guarantee you will have a seat!
Old Apr 3, 2014, 3:44 pm

Programs: bahn.bonus, FB, EB
Originally Posted by robtroxel
1st class is the best way. With Second class, there is not guarantee you will have a seat!
This is utter nonsense. On long-distance trains, seat reservation is a separate extra (with some exceptions) in both first and second class. One regional trains you cannot reserve seats in any class.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 3:50 pm

Programs: 8 mm lifetime,1K, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Well your term "utter nonsense" makes no sense when I have seen standing room only on in second class. Would it be that the open seating ran out? Either way, what does make sense is to reserve a seat when you can
Old Apr 3, 2014, 4:16 pm

Programs: bahn.bonus, FB, EB
Well your term "utter nonsense" makes no sense when I have seen standing room only on in second class. Would it be that the open seating ran out?
Sorry, you're making no sense here. What do you mean?

Either way, what does make sense is to reserve a seat when you can
Agreed.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 9:29 pm

On my most recent long-distance ICE trip, 1st class was standing room only as well; as has been said, the only way to guarantee a seat in either class is to reserve one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.