Swiss train travel questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Swiss train travel questions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2016, 8:15 am

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Don't you mean 'Freiburg'? BTW, there are two Freiburgs. One, Freiburg im Breisgau, is in Germany. The other, Freiburg in Switzerland can refer to either the Canton of Freiburg, or the capital city of that Canton, Freiburg. To make things more confusing, the Freiburg in Switzerland also has a french name of Fribourg.

Anyways, have a look at the RhB website for the Bernina-Express:
https://www.rhb.ch/en/panoramic-trains/bernina-express.

It looks like you should be able to book your 11 June trip tomorrow, as that seems to be the first day you can book that day. Though, I'm just guessing as the calendar only goes to 10 June on the RhB website. You can book your space in the carriage on the RhB site as well.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 9:26 am

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
I take back everything I have ever said bad about the Germans, I got it to work. I was able to book 2 1st class tickets for 108e (regular price 424e, yikes) it says the train will stop in Chur, Zurich, Basel then on to Germany. My credit card company would not approve it the first time, they called me at home and asked if it was ok. I said yes, went back then got the error message "Chur to Zurich reservation not available" so I hit the button continue without seats. I assume this is because the Swiss have not loaded their seats yet but just guessing. Anyway I received an email confirmation from Bahn.
I assume I still will have to buy tickets from where we get off in Zurich to the airport?
Old Mar 12, 2016, 10:35 am

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Don't bother with the Chur to Zürich seat reservations. The only time you really need reservations in Switzerland is if you're going between Bern and Zürich during rush hour. On that train sit on the top deck left side of the train for the nice lake views. You'll need a ticket to get from the Zürich HB to the airport. You can buy this in Tirano, Chur, or Zürich depending how much time you have at each one of those places. You can also buy the ticket online, or with your phone with the SBB app.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 1:59 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, L'Accor Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Platinum
Resurrecting this Thread in the hope that someone can help me.

I'm going to Interlaken this September (flying into Basel, where I'm meeting my sister who's a resident there and then travelling on by train) and I'm a bit unsure about what to do regarding booking train tickets to get the best value.

1. If I buy a Swiss rail pass in advance, does that cover me on the Jungfrau or do I need a separate Jungfrau ticket?

2. My sister can get discounts on train tickets if she books a couple of weeks before travel (although she can't get the discount on the Jungfrau). Is it better value to do that than book a pass in advance?

Grateful for any advice.

1F
Old Apr 6, 2017, 1:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
To item 1), the travel pass will get you a discount on the Jungfraujoch line
2) The only discounts on Swiss rail tickets are on "Supersaver" tickets which are sometimes offered on some routes and times. They tie you down to the particular train you have booked and can't be changed or cancelled. Standard rail tickets can be bought just before travel and aren't tied to specific trains.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 2:44 pm

Thank you, catandmouse. Much appreciated - I think I'll get the travel pass then.

1F
Old Apr 12, 2017, 5:41 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 1nfrequent
Resurrecting this Thread in the hope that someone can help me.

I'm going to Interlaken this September (flying into Basel, where I'm meeting my sister who's a resident there and then travelling on by train) and I'm a bit unsure about what to do regarding booking train tickets to get the best value.

1. If I buy a Swiss rail pass in advance, does that cover me on the Jungfrau or do I need a separate Jungfrau ticket?

2. My sister can get discounts on train tickets if she books a couple of weeks before travel (although she can't get the discount on the Jungfrau). Is it better value to do that than book a pass in advance?

Grateful for any advice.

1F
Jungfrau trip is expensive, so plan your departure around weather conditions. In Interlaken it may be sunny, but at the top there could be a snow storm (even in Sept.).
At https://www.jungfrau.ch/shop/en/tick...-top-of-europe
lots of special discounts are listed.
PS: The final stretch to the top is all in a tunnel!
Old Apr 13, 2017, 1:14 pm

Programs: A3*, HH, club carlson: all gold and bonvoy plat
Originally Posted by nrr
Jungfrau trip is expensive, so plan your departure around weather conditions. In Interlaken it may be sunny, but at the top there could be a snow storm (even in Sept.).
At https://www.jungfrau.ch/shop/en/tick...-top-of-europe
lots of special discounts are listed.
PS: The final stretch to the top is all in a tunnel!
You can also buy shares to get 50% off. Not sure though if it's worth the hassle.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 5:29 pm

Thank you both. Hadn't considered the weather aspect at all!

1F
Old Apr 16, 2017, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by catandmouse
The only discounts on Swiss rail tickets are on "Supersaver" tickets which are sometimes offered on some routes and times. They tie you down to the particular train you have booked and can't be changed or cancelled.
Otherwise you may also get a day pass especially if you plan to return to Basel on the same day. What's nice with it, is that you may take any train (no schedule restriction) and similar to the pass you may get a discount as well on jungfrau tickets.

Here are some info about it, but at your sister's town there may be some available for a bit cheaper.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 7:09 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Artemio
Otherwise you may also get a day pass especially if you plan to return to Basel on the same day. What's nice with it, is that you may take any train (no schedule restriction) and similar to the pass you may get a discount as well on jungfrau tickets.

Here are some info about it, but at your sister's town there may be some available for a bit cheaper.
Except for "special deals", day cards can only be used with a 1/2 fare card (extra cost).
https://www.sbb.ch/en/travelcards-an...ravelcard.html
Old Apr 17, 2017, 1:24 am

Originally Posted by nrr
Except for "special deals", day cards can only be used with a 1/2 fare card (extra cost).
https://www.sbb.ch/en/travelcards-an...ravelcard.html
Those daycards aren't the same as the ones you mentioned.

Almost every town in CH has some "town" daycards to sell them to its population for about 35-50 CHF. And usually it's 0 to 10.- franks more expensive for non-town-resident. Some towns may even send them to a swiss address (cf the link on my previous post)
That daycard dosen't, for sure, need a half fare card. But I can't really find anything better than this on the net about that point, sorry.
Old May 4, 2017, 1:02 pm

Can Supersaver tickets be bought on the same day of use? I plan to travel from Zurich airport to Lucerne and back on a Monday in June.
Old May 4, 2017, 11:53 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by usfly
Can Supersaver tickets be bought on the same day of use? I plan to travel from Zurich airport to Lucerne and back on a Monday in June.
I don't think you can buy them on the same day (defeats the purpose of advance sale). I don't think they sell any for ZRH AIRPORT.
Old May 5, 2017, 12:45 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
I purchase super savers to ZRH airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.