Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > European Rail Travel
Reload this Page >

Why would anyone use Eurostar over flying to Paris?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why would anyone use Eurostar over flying to Paris?

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2016, 5:55 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Airvan00
I think you have worked it out correctly, but most people who use Eurostar are not going to or from an airport in either London or Paris. For example I usually travel from central London (walking distance from STP) to central Paris (and vv). I think the answer is in the annual traffic figures, all those thousands of people have made the individual calculations and voted with their feet.
Yes, that was my thinking, too, as I started to piece it together. My one anxiety is that if I'm on the last flight and it's canceled, I'm screwed. I think I will fly out a bit earlier than 9 PM. Prob 6 or 7, so if anything happens I have options. I guess I could always dash to the Eurostar! International long haul out of LHR is at 1130 AM the next day.
Old May 26, 2016, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
My inclination would be to take the first flight in the morning. Both BA and AF have a flight arriving before 08:00, and there's even a flight from Orly arriving at 08:35. If you buy it as a connecting flight for your onward, then you will avoid UK APD, although you will of course have to pay the French tax.
Old May 26, 2016, 5:02 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
My inclination would be to take the first flight in the morning. Both BA and AF have a flight arriving before 08:00, and there's even a flight from Orly arriving at 08:35. If you buy it as a connecting flight for your onward, then you will avoid UK APD, although you will of course have to pay the French tax.
Can't do it as add on bc long haul is award ticket already booked. No options for award on the PAR leg. I checked. Already paid APD. Sigh. And actually I'm fine going night before.
Old May 26, 2016, 12:03 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
If you don't care when in the day you travel other than AM or PM, and you're booking a week out, you can take the Eurostar for only £25 one-way!

It's a new thing though, explaination is here from the man in Seat 61, you book at https://snap.eurostar.com/
Old May 26, 2016, 6:05 pm

Programs: QF QP
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
so if anything happens I have options. I guess I could always dash to the Eurostar!.
Be warned, last minute bookings on Eurostar can be expensive. On a trip from Paris to London a duchman asked me if the seat next to me was free, it was. He had booked last minute and was allocated a tip up seat in the vestibule. He asked me how much I had paid "€49"
He showed me his ticket "€249", he just shrugged his shoulders, I have to be in London by noon.
Old May 27, 2016, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by Gagravarr
If you don't care when in the day you travel other than AM or PM, and you're booking a week out, you can take the Eurostar for only £25 one-way!

It's a new thing though, explaination is here from the man in Seat 61, you book at https://snap.eurostar.com/
I kind of care. I'm meeting an old friend in Paris that day (I will have come up by train from Nice) and would like to spend as much time as possible with her. She will take train back to Belgium as I depart. But this is a great option that I didn't know about! Will remember for future!

Originally Posted by Airvan00
Be warned, last minute bookings on Eurostar can be expensive. On a trip from Paris to London a duchman asked me if the seat next to me was free, it was. He had booked last minute and was allocated a tip up seat in the vestibule. He asked me how much I had paid "€49"
He showed me his ticket "€249", he just shrugged his shoulders, I have to be in London by noon.
Yes, I knew that. I was only thinking I'd do that if major crisis with flying happened. That's quite a difference though!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.