Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe including Turkey > European Rail Travel
Sign in using an external account

Old May 23, 12, 8:05 pm   #1
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan, Mileage Run & Manufactured Spending

France rail pass question

Having a France rail pass in hand I'm departing for Paris next week and am planning some day trips but have a few questions about the different types of trains in greater Paris.

I want to combine Fontainebleau with Vaux le Vicomte so checked and found SNCF trains listed from Gare Lyon to Fontainebleau-Avon but some are called TER and others Transilien. The rail pass fine print specifically mentions TER are included but doesn't mention the Transilien trains so would anyone know if I would be able to use the rail pass on those trains to travel out to Fontainebleau-Avon, between Fontainebleau-Avon and Melun and back from Melun to Gare Lyon? Or would I specifically have to opt for TER trains and times?

I'm sure I could ask while there but though I'd ask the experts here while I had the time. Thanks for any input.
tcook052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 12, 9:28 pm   #2
nrr

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; 2MM AA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcook052 View Post
Having a France rail pass in hand I'm departing for Paris next week and am planning some day trips but have a few questions about the different types of trains in greater Paris.

I want to combine Fontainebleau with Vaux le Vicomte so checked and found SNCF trains listed from Gare Lyon to Fontainebleau-Avon but some are called TER and others Transilien. The rail pass fine print specifically mentions TER are included but doesn't mention the Transilien trains so would anyone know if I would be able to use the rail pass on those trains to travel out to Fontainebleau-Avon, between Fontainebleau-Avon and Melun and back from Melun to Gare Lyon? Or would I specifically have to opt for TER trains and times?

I'm sure I could ask while there but though I'd ask the experts here while I had the time. Thanks for any input.
Virtually every train run by SNCF, will allow the use of a French rail pass. However, reserved seat trains, like TGV's have restricted the number of seats a Railpass holder can use.
French railpasses let you choose the number of days in a one month period. The trip to Fotainebleau is really very short, you might consider buying a separate ticket and not use up one of your days.
PS: You can ride on many of the RER lines in Paris using a FRP (those lines owned by SNCF, line C to Versailles, line E, and line B north of Gare du Nord (which would get you to CDG)--officially this must be done on one of the validity dates for your pass, but...

Last edited by nrr; May 28, 12 at 2:31 am..
nrr is offline   Reply With Quote