Vie-bud-lju-prg

Old Jun 26, 2011, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, UA Premier Platinum, National Executive
Vie-bud-lju-prg

Advice needed on the route described in the title. The interim stops are flexible. We could either go from VIE to BUD or from VIE to LJU (Actually need to go to Lesce Bled). but need to finally end up in Prague. Would prefer night trains to maximize time, but all the night trains that I found seem to be 2 halts and long layovers in the middle of the night. Any recommendations? I will be going in August. The current plan is to leave VIE on Aug 9th and then 2 days in Bled and 2 in Budapest before we reach Prague on the 13th.

Last edited by DLrunner; Jun 26, 2011 at 4:20 pm Reason: Addition
Old Jun 27, 2011, 5:02 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
FYI... Prague and Budapest are in opposite directions from Vienna. Have you used BAHN to see what is offered?
Old Jun 27, 2011, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Yes. I know they are in opposite directions. Unfortunately award tickets get us into VIE and out of PRG. We also want to see BUD and LJU, hence the convoluted routing. I have looked at Bahn, but have sometimes found better routings when I have manually looked at intermediate segments. However the problem here is that I do not know all the possible central stations for the segment by segment planning.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 8:22 am

Vienna to Budapest is a simple 2h50 ride.
Budapest to Prague is about a 7h ride

Vienna to Bled-Jezero‎ is ~7 hrs, while Budapest-Bled-Jezero‎ is about 11 hrs.
Vienna - Ljubljana is about 6 hrs.

I would skip either Budapest or Lake Bled and spend more time in other locations.

Another option is to go from Bled to Venice (5 hrs) and fly from there to PRG.... there's at least one LCC that does that route. If this is before 30 SEP, WizzAir actually flies out of Marco Polo, not out of Treviso, which should make things even simpler.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by DLrunner
Advice needed on the route described in the title. The interim stops are flexible. We could either go from VIE to BUD or from VIE to LJU (Actually need to go to Lesce Bled). but need to finally end up in Prague. Would prefer night trains to maximize time, but all the night trains that I found seem to be 2 halts and long layovers in the middle of the night. Any recommendations? I will be going in August. The current plan is to leave VIE on Aug 9th and then 2 days in Bled and 2 in Budapest before we reach Prague on the 13th.
The change in Salzburg at 130 is annoying, but it only takes a few minutes to go from one sleeper to another (assuming trains are running on time).

That's the only night train from Budapest - Lesce Bled - Ljubljana. (Well, there's the night train to Venice that stops in Ljubljana at 2am, but don't see how that does you any good).

As far as Slovenia-Prague, check out the slovene rail page for schedules and fares. Nothing very ideal on this route though...going to spend about 12 hours doing it, and nothing direct.

http://www.slo-zeleznice.si/en/passe...czech-republic
Old Jun 27, 2011, 9:53 am

If you are set on visiting all these places, then the logical routing is Vienna - Slovenia - Budapest - Prague.

You can get from Vienna (Meidling) to Lesce Bled by day train (worth it for the scenery) in under 5h30 with one change at Villach. (Depart Vienna at 08:29 or 12:29).

Ljubljana to Budapest is the pain - day and night trains take over 9 hours, and the direct night train leaves at 01:50.

There is a direct Budapest to Prague night train leaving Budapest at 19:55 and arriving at Prague at 06:19. There are also day trains - but it's a journey of over 7 hours.

That's a lot to do in the space of a few days, and you may find it all more exhausting than relaxing.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 10:01 am
Original Poster

I agree that 4 countries in 9 days is hectic. But the odds that we will be back in that part of the world any time soon is low, hence wanted to "maximize" this visit. The BUD-PRG direct night train is from 1955 to 0400 not 0619. Am I missing something?
Old Jun 27, 2011, 10:07 am
Original Poster

BTW does anyone reading this forum live in Slovenia? Would love your help to get the cheap tickets from LJU to BUD.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 10:29 am

BTW. you may want to investigate if this whole itinerary will be faster by car. While probably considerably more expensive, it will save you a considerable amount time -- motorways all the way. At least do Vienna-Bled-Budapest-Vienna to avoid one-way fees and take the train from there. As an alternative, go to Brno and pick up a car there. Then do the entire circuit and return in PRG to avoid one-way fees.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 10:31 am

I agree that 4 countries in 9 days is hectic. But the odds that we will be back in that part of the world any time soon is low, hence wanted to "maximize" this visit. The BUD-PRG direct night train is from 1955 to 0400 not 0619. Am I missing something?
Yes - this train has two portions. The portion that goes on to Berlin arrives at Prague at 04:00; the portion for Prague (train 718) arrives at 06:19. Here is the detailed timetable.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by railways
Yes - this train has two portions. The portion that goes on to Berlin arrives at Prague at 04:00; the portion for Prague (train 718) arrives at 06:19. Here is the detailed timetable.

How does this work? Does the part that connects to train 718 just wait in Pardubice for 2.5 hours in the morning? I cannot even see this schedule on DB Bahn.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 5:48 pm

How does this work? Does the part that connects to train 718 just wait in Pardubice for 2.5 hours in the morning? I cannot even see this schedule on DB Bahn.
Yes, the Prague cars do sit in Pardubice for a while (whereas the Berlin cars leave sooner). You can find the schedule on DB Bahn if you insert a 2-hour pause at Pardubice in the search engine.

Last edited by Track; Jul 19, 2011 at 5:54 pm
Old Aug 17, 2011, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestion. Took the night train and maximized our time in both Budapest and Prague.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.