Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > European Rail Travel
Reload this Page >

Kudos to SBB lost and found, God Bless the Swiss!

Old Jan 27, 2010, 10:10 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU

Traveling in SBB 1st from GVA to Bern after a red-eye from IAD and with a short connection at Bern to Interlaken I managed to leave my laptop bag on the train and did not realize it until I was boarding the second train...by which time the first was pulling out of the station.

With the help of a Swiss friend, however, I was able to contact SBB lost and found, and for the BARGAIN price of 50 CHF I was able to initiate an immediate search for the bag. It was recovered BEFORE the train I'd left it on even arrived at Luzern!

Three days later the bag was waiting for me back at GVA for the normal lost-bag fee of another 20 CHF, its contents (including cash, electronics, etc) utterly undisturbed.

There are few places in the world where this would have been the case.

Thank God I was in Switzerland! ^ ^
Old Jan 27, 2010, 12:21 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
phone 0900 300 300 (in Switzerland)

from outside Switzerland +41 900 300 300
Old Jan 27, 2010, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Rudi
phone 0900 300 300 (in Switzerland)

from outside Switzerland +41 900 300 300
Thank you again, Vati!
Old Jan 27, 2010, 3:08 pm

I came to realize: The true, but hidden champion of Swiss Passenger Transport is not to be found in the air, but rather on tracks. SBB is a solid operation.

I am glad you got your laptop bag back, kokonutz.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 4:33 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PhilUSA
I came to realize: The true, but hidden champion of Swiss Passenger Transport is not to be found in the air, but rather on tracks. SBB is a solid operation.

I am glad you got your laptop bag back, kokonutz.
If one is a railbuff the Swiss train system is heaven. Throw in magnificent scenery (lakes, mountains etc.) makes it even more so.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nrr
If one is a railbuff the Swiss train system is heaven. Throw in magnificent scenery (lakes, mountains etc.) makes it even more so.
Given that the final terminus of this particular train trip was Jungfraujoch railway station, yes, as close to heaven as one can get on a train in Europe, if you'll pardon the double entendre! ^

Last edited by kokonutz; Jan 28, 2010 at 9:08 am
Old Jan 28, 2010, 1:11 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The trip all the way to the top is possibly the most expensive (based on miles covered) conventional rail trip, and the last stretch is all through a tunnel. I've taken it several times, and only once was weather nice at the top.
But your photo is pretty.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nrr
The trip all the way to the top is possibly the most expensive (based on miles covered) conventional rail trip, and the last stretch is all through a tunnel. I've taken it several times, and only once was weather nice at the top.
But your photo is pretty.
Pricey, but only because the views are worth it when your timing is good, and we were quite lucky in that respect (although my host would argue that it was good planning vice good luck! ) :

Old Jan 28, 2010, 2:48 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
Originally Posted by nrr
The trip all the way to the top is possibly the most expensive (based on miles covered)...
If you have a (at least covering 3-day) skipass for the area the trip is a bargain of CHF 54 only (as the ski-pass covers the trip until the last station before the tunnel: 'Eigergletscher').

Other train rebate options are:

consider buying a 'half-price' pass for one month (only available if you live outside Switzerland) for CHF 99 and all train/ship/tram/bus travel in Switzerland costs only half price for a full month.

Or try to get (through a swiss friend) subsidized day passes (for the specific days printed on that ticket) sold by some swiss communities to their citizens up to a year in advance (the price varies from community to community and in average is CHF 35 per day): that's what I made for kokonutz' visit (from Wengen/Grindelwald to the Jungfrau these day passes are not valid but still serve as a half-price pass).
Old Jan 28, 2010, 7:16 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rudi
If you have a (at least covering 3-day) skipass for the area the trip is a bargain of CHF 54 only (as the ski-pass covers the trip until the last station before the tunnel: 'Eigergletscher').

Other train rebate options are:

consider buying a 'half-price' pass for one month (only available if you live outside Switzerland) for CHF 99 and all train/ship/tram/bus travel in Switzerland costs only half price for a full month.

Or try to get (through a swiss friend) subsidized day passes (for the specific days printed on that ticket) sold by some swiss communities to their citizens up to a year in advance (the price varies from community to community and in average is CHF 35 per day): that's what I made for kokonutz' visit (from Wengen/Grindelwald to the Jungfrau these day passes are not valid but still serve as a half-price pass).
I am planning on returning to Switz. several times over the next year. And was looking into buying a 1 year 1/2 fare card and buying a 5 pack (you get 6 from what I see) day cards (after 9 am validity type), these have an advantage over the railpasses I usually purchase, since they can be used over a much longer period of time.
I have NO Swiss friends so your suggestion won't help me; but I do appreciate the info.
[As I have noted in other threads, the thing I like most about railpasses is the flexibilty they offer, you don't have to buy tickets for specific trains, you can change your mind and ride. Switz. has not introduced mandatory reservations on trains makes travel there easier to do.]
Old Jan 29, 2010, 12:00 am

Programs: Many
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; fr-fr) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Traveling in SBB 1st from GVA to Bern after a red-eye from IAD and with a short connection at Bern to Interlaken I managed to leave my laptop bag on the train and did not realize it until I was boarding the second train...by which time the first was pulling out of the station.

With the help of a Swiss friend, however, I was able to contact SBB lost and found, and for the BARGAIN price of 50 CHF I was able to initiate an immediate search for the bag. It was recovered BEFORE the train I'd left it on even arrived at Luzern!

Three days later the bag was waiting for me back at GVA for the normal lost-bag fee of another 20 CHF, its contents (including cash, electronics, etc) utterly undisturbed.

There are few places in the world where this would have been the case.

Thank God I was in Switzerland! ^ ^
That is Switzerland!
SBB/CFF rocks ^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.