Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > European Rail Travel
Reload this Page >

DB bahn.bonus International Train Award Question

Old Jan 26, 2010, 2:51 am
Original Poster

Hi everyone,

I usually redeem first-class upgrades with my spare DB bahn.bonus points (Frequent Traveller Program of DB BAHN), but now that I have my DB BahnCard MasterCard I have excess points, which I would like to use for an international train award.

This is my problem: For the award '4.000 Punkte: Freifahrt international 1. Klasse - nach Verfgbarkeit, Hin- und Rckfahrt -' (international roundtrip first class) I get contradicting information from the bahn.comfort hotline and at the ticket counter. My questions is: Can I use this award to go from any DB station in Germany to any SNCF station in France? Actual routing would be WUERZBURG > CAEN (via Frankfurt/Paris with ICE or TGV) or is this award only good to go to Paris only?

Anybody here who has an idea or who used this award before?

Many thanks for your input.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 4:15 am

Programs: BahnCard Comfort, Bahn Bonus, Enrich Blue
"nach Verfgbarkeit" indicates the problem. This bonus ticket has to be pre-booked for a specific train connection WELL in advance. They only allow a very limited number of those free bonus tickets per train. If there is no availability any more, bad luck.

Disclaimer: I have never used the international bonus, only within Germany where I had the problem indicated above. Can't tell about the Paris or Caen problem. Depends what the ticket counter can book.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 7:15 am

Programs: M&M, EB
Originally Posted by PhilUSA
This is my problem: For the award '4.000 Punkte: Freifahrt international 1. Klasse - nach Verfgbarkeit, Hin- und Rckfahrt -' (international roundtrip first class) I get contradicting information from the bahn.comfort hotline and at the ticket counter.
What information have you got?
Old Jan 28, 2010, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

@ 'Kathrin': Yes, thank you. I am planning on giving this plenty of advance booking time. This is my first international train award.

@ 'interessierterlaie' -
Originally Posted by interessierterlaie
What information have you got?
Well, the award conditions say:

'3.4 Die Fahrkarte „bahn.bonus international“ wird von jedem DB-Abgangsbahnhof zu jedem Zielbahnhof in Belgien, Dnemark, Luxemburg, Niederlande, sterreich und der Schweiz sowie fr Fahrten in den Hochgeschwindigkeitszgen (ICE, TGV) von Deutschland nach Paris inklusive Reservierung ausgegeben, sofern der gewnschte Zielbahnhof in den elektronischen Vertriebssystemen der DB enthalten ist.

Fr Fahrten im Eurostar von Brssel-Midi nach London St. Pancras International und fr Fahrten im Thalys von Kln nach Paris werden Prmienfahrkarten „DB AWARD INT.“ inklusive Reservierung ausgestellt. Die Nutzung der Thalys-Zge von Kln nach Brssel ist mit diesen Prmienfahrkarten ausgeschlossen.

Prmienfahrkarten "RAILTEAM AWARD" inklusive Reservierung knnen fr Verbindungen des Hochgeschwindigkeitszuges TGV innerhalb Frankreichs genutzt werden.'

> this does not provide a clear answer (and I do speak German), but suggests that I can obtain an award ticket to any TGV stop (Caen is not a TGV destination).

On the other hand I have a verbal confirmation from the bahn.comfort international phone desk that I can book a ticket to any train station in France.

I guess my best bet will be to request the award and then go to a 'DB Reisezentrum' and speak with someone in person.

Bottom line: This should not be so difficult and I should be able to do it all myself online.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
I think there are also awards that are fully flexible for a higher amount of points ?
Old Jan 28, 2010, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Rambuster
I think there are also awards that are fully flexible for a higher amount of points ?
4,000 points for an international roundtrip first class ticket is the highest DB provided award I am aware of.

You are right though, I'd be happy to 'pay' 6,000 points and go on any train I want to.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
4,000 points for an international roundtrip first class ticket is the highest DB provided award I am aware of.

You are right though, I'd be happy to 'pay' 6,000 points and go on any train I want to.
You are correct, there is no other free ticket option.
(..I have 26k Bahn.Bonus points...)
Old Jan 28, 2010, 3:46 pm

Programs: none
" sofern der gewnschte Zielbahnhof in den elektronischen Vertriebssystemen der DB enthalten ist. "
Here is the (slight) problem, translation:

'.........and if/when the 'final destination' (of any trip) is actually listed/accessible in/through DieBahn electronic booking system.....'
Old Jan 29, 2010, 3:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Rambuster
(..I have 26k Bahn.Bonus points...)
26,000 bahn.bonus points? Wow - that is a lot, 'Rambuster'. How did you manage to gain that many points? How much of it was generated by DB travel? If you don't mind me asking.

I myself make about 2,500 bahn.bonus points on actual DB travel per year plus credit card points (this is only now starting and I don't know how much of my credit card revenue I can switch to the DB credit card).
Old Jan 29, 2010, 3:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kanopemainer
" sofern der gewnschte Zielbahnhof in den elektronischen Vertriebssystemen der DB enthalten ist. "
Jawohl: This changes probably by the day.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 6:25 am

Programs: M&M, EB
On the other hand I have a verbal confirmation from the bahn.comfort international phone desk that I can book a ticket to any train station in France.

I guess my best bet will be to request the award and then go to a 'DB Reisezentrum' and speak with someone in person.
Why not speak to them before you order the award? Because if it's not working you can't return the award but I'm sure you know. If you can buy a Ticket from Wrzburg to Caen there it should be no problem to go to Caen with an award ticket.

Originally Posted by kanopemainer

'.........and if/when the 'final destination' (of any trip) is actually listed/accessible in/through DieBahn electronic booking system.....'
Jawohl: This changes probably by the day.
The train stations in the system don't change that often but award availability does.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.