Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > European Rail Travel
Reload this Page >

Reliability/punctuality of German night trains?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reliability/punctuality of German night trains?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2010, 4:27 am

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Train carriage also wasn't the one CNL advertises. Single decker. The toilet, sink and shower were there (bought the Deluxe) and was one fairly tight cubicle. Showerhead was the faucet! A complimentary and substantive inroom breakfast was served. Some cabins may have been sold as economy with the bathroom locked and no breakfast served.
The Rome-Munich sleeper is advertised as a single-decker Comfortline sleeper. Only three of the twelve compartments are deluxe (with shower).
Old Dec 11, 2010, 7:52 am

Programs: Soon to be free agent...
My wife and I took the City Night Line (1238 I believe) sleeper from Berlin Hauptbanhof to Mannheim in late November; it was scheduled to leave Berlin at 10:25pm but ran about 80 minutes behind and did not arrive until 11:40pm, leaving about 5 minutes later. We asked the train attendants when we could expect to arrive at Mannheim (originally scheduled for 4:45am) since we were behind and they didn't have a good idea, they said to ask later. They awoke us at 5:30am saying approximately 45 minutes until Mannheim, so we ate some breakfast and returned to our room at 4:57am, where we looked out the window and saw that we were pulling into Mannheim station. So this is a long-winded way of saying that if the train is significantly behind schedule you never know when you will be at your stop so pay attention.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 5:13 am

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, IHG plat, DB Comfort, SPG gold
Most night trains have longer stops at night when they "waste" some time in stations not advertised as a regular stop in timetables - as it is possible to travel between any of the larger stations within 6 to 7 hours, people would hardly get to sleep on those routes, so they artificially extend the sleeping time by keeping the train in a station for an hour or two - I remember the Warswaw-Brussels night train (which is, as far as I know, no longer existent) stopping each night at around 4 am in Aachen, people sleeping happily inside and conductors (not so happily) walking around the platform. This is also the reason why night trains are usually not running late when time is switched from winter time to DST, they simply skip those mid-night stops.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.