Wiki Posts
Search

Budapest to Vienna: boat or train?

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2009, 9:54 pm
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

Budapest to Vienna: boat or train?

I'm going to be in Europe on holiday this summer. Should I go from Budapest to Vienna by train or by hydrofoil? I saw a fare for the train for $66pp; the ferry fare is 89 euros. The ferry takes 6 1/2 hours, leaving at 9am and arriving in Vienna at 3:30pm. The train takes about 3 hours. Is the ferry ride scenic? enough so to justify the additional time/expense? And what about the ferry location in both cities? Is it more out of the way than the train stations?
Old May 12, 2009, 10:45 pm

Programs: UA 1MM *G (recovered GS), SPG Nothing, Hilton Nothing, AA Nothing
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I'm going to be in Europe on holiday this summer. Should I go from Budapest to Vienna by train or by hydrofoil? I saw a fare for the train for $66pp; the ferry fare is 89 euros. The ferry takes 6 1/2 hours, leaving at 9am and arriving in Vienna at 3:30pm. The train takes about 3 hours. Is the ferry ride scenic? enough so to justify the additional time/expense? And what about the ferry location in both cities? Is it more out of the way than the train stations?
I have taken that train several times (both ways) and the boat only once (down stream to the Gabcikovo dam complex, then back to Bratislava). The 7 or so hours I spent on that boat constitute the longest and most boring travel experience I can remember. Granted, it was not the hydrofoil, but if I were you I'd take the train. We did this in winter and had a very nice gulash and cup of tea in the dining car.
Old May 13, 2009, 12:34 am

Seconded! Take the train!
Old May 13, 2009, 1:20 am

Programs: *A Silver, AA Gold + Miles Scattered Everywhere.
speaking of which...nobody answered my question that i posted. anyone have experience about buses between budapest and vienna. there's this bus service called orangeways. about 15EUR each way or something like that. or should i stick with volan bus service?
Old May 13, 2009, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I liked the hydrofoil. What can I say?
Old May 13, 2009, 3:46 am

Originally Posted by aaron1262
speaking of which...nobody answered my question that i posted. anyone have experience about buses between budapest and vienna. there's this bus service called orangeways. about 15EUR each way or something like that. or should i stick with volan bus service?
You can get train tickets (minimum 3-day advance purchase, but plenty of availability), including for the new Railjet service, for €13 each way if bought in Hungary, or €19 each way if bought in Austria or on the OeBB website.
Old May 14, 2009, 2:13 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: TK Gold, M&M FTL, QR Gold, HH Diamond, PCR Platinum
Would you have any links for that? I tried www.oebb.at, but couldn't find any ticket prices.
Old May 14, 2009, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by aaron1262
Orangeways get very nice reviews/comments on Hungarian sites.
Old May 14, 2009, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by CAlex
Would you have any links for that? I tried www.oebb.at, but couldn't find any ticket prices.
It's here.

More information on the equivalent German page.
Old May 15, 2009, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by PTravel
I liked the hydrofoil. What can I say?
PTravel, we are very interested in taking the hydrofoil.

What did you like about it?

It seems a bit enclosed - could you see the passing scenery?
Old May 15, 2009, 11:43 pm

Can you do boat one way and train the other?
Old May 16, 2009, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by best
Can you do boat one way and train the other?
Yes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.