Use Euros in non-Euro countries?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2009, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExP (former HP/US), Marriott (former SPG) Lifetime Platinum, and most other major hotel programs

I am going to be traveling to Switzerland (which uses Swiss Francs) and some Scandinavian countries each of which seems to have its own Kroners. I make most purchases with credit cards but need cash from time to time. I haven't been to many of these countries in decades (some not at all).

I want to have enough cash that I don't run out but I hate the idea of (a) changing money for currency to currency to currency (b) bringing currencies back with me when I have no foreseeable plans to return and use them.

So my question is, do local businesses, taxis, etc. routinely accept Euros in any of these countries? I am particularly interested in Zurich (going next week) and Sweden, Finland and Denmark (going this summer).
Old Apr 16, 2009, 7:24 am

here in Finland we only accept euros. Sweden and Denmark mostly accept their own currencies. Some restaurants, dept. stores etc that have many foreigners as clients or cities close to borders accept euros, but at a less than great rate. My advice is to withdraw local money from ATMs and spend the remaining cash at the airport or ferries when leaving the country. Most places will accept credit cards, amex isn´t as widely accepted as Visa or MC. Visa and MC are accepted at taxis, grocery stores, bars etc.
Old Apr 16, 2009, 7:35 am

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Hi there,

In addition to the first reply, here in Switzerland, you will find a number of stores that do accept euros, but not necessarily at a good rate at all. Also, any change will be given in Swiss francs ... so you will still end up with foreign change.

As for getting currency, don't even consider exchanging USD -> EUR -> CHF ... just use an ATM in Switzerland to withdraw an amount.

Depending on how long you stay in Switzerland, you will easily spend it. One thing that you can always do is to withdraw a reasonable amount, and apply any excess leftover to your hotel bill before checking out.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old Apr 17, 2009, 4:11 am

I concur with all of the above. Unless you want to confine yourself to shopping in major stores or in places at airports or right on a border with a Eurozone country, you're going to need the local currency; and in most cases any change you get will be in the local currency anyway. And the exchange rate offered by shops for non-local currencies (including the Euro) is usually pretty bad too.
Old Apr 17, 2009, 7:50 am

Agree with the above. In Switzerland, *if* (big if) people are willing to take payment in euros, the rate will be at a significant disadvantage to you, e.g. 1 euro for 1 frank.

However, euros will be more easily accepted the closer you are to a border.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 1:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExP (former HP/US), Marriott (former SPG) Lifetime Platinum, and most other major hotel programs
Thanks to all for the information and ideas. I have done the pay-part-of-the-hotel-bill-with-the-excess-cash in the past (great thought) and had forgotten about it.

One last question: Are there any exit costs/taxes in Switzerland, Sweden or Denmark that I would have to pay in local currency at the airport? . . . or will I be able to get by with just a credit card for airport transportation and exit?
Old Apr 18, 2009, 2:25 am

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Hi Phoenix,

No, there are no exit fees/taxes in Switzerland. However, for the transport to the airport, we'll need a little more detail.

Where will you be in Switzerland, which airport are you leaving from and what mode of transportation will you be using?

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old Apr 18, 2009, 2:26 am

Originally Posted by PhoenixCMC
One last question: Are there any exit costs/taxes in Switzerland, Sweden or Denmark that I would have to pay in local currency at the airport? . . . or will I be able to get by with just a credit card for airport transportation and exit?
No exit costs in any of those countries. (I am assuming you mean things like a departure tax or similar.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.