Wiki Posts
Search

Budapest - is it worth a visit?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2016, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by deniah
And my recommended complementary mode of transportation to that is Uber.
Taking into account the fact, that Uber closed all its operations on 24/July in Hungary, this recommendation is not all that useful.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 8:19 am

Programs: OZ*G, QF Gold
Originally Posted by jphripjah
To the answer the OP's question seven years late, Budapest is one of the most stunning and interesting cities in the world and everyone should visit it. Most cities are worth about 2 days, Budapest is worth 4 days.
+1

One of my favorite cities in the world. It's so wonderful that I go back every few years. Interesting food, architecture, culture and activities on offer. The outstanding value for money is an added bonus.

-----

On the transport issue, I agree with the recommendation to buy a 72hr or one-week public transport pass; I always do so as I've found that Bp is actually quite a spread-out city if you want to experience it in more depth as opposed to just doing the "standard" tourist things. And since 2012, the pass has come with an added bonus: on weekdays, you can use the pass to ride the public ferries which operate along the Danube. Cheap sightseeing cruise ^

However, if I need a taxi, I often use the Fő Taxi iPhone app and can highly recommend it. It's easy and convenient, and Fő is one of the most reputable taxi companies in Bp. I've never had any communication issues with their drivers. Have also used 6x6 Taxi with no issues. (I'm pretty picky about which taxi companies I use in Bp, given all the previous issues with foreigners getting ripped off - no harm exercising a bit of extra caution - even if rogue operators are in the minority, especially with all the new taxi regulations the city has implemented).

Just my 2c worth, in case anyone is still reading this thread looking for ideas

Last edited by FlyingJoy; Sep 25, 2016 at 8:24 am
Old Sep 26, 2016, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
+1 for the Főtaxi app. Simple, works great, you can even follow your ride approaching. You don't even have to know your address, it uses your location data (but you can manually input it, if needed) And no trying to pronounce your location to the phone dispatcher
Old Oct 6, 2016, 1:16 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, well taxis may be cheap but the ones at the train station refuse to use meters and charge outrageous prices even with bargaining. From there to the Intercontinental, asking prices for foreign visitors (me) started at HUF6,000 and I couldn't get it below HUF4,000 despite trying three of them.

I didn't have a local or usable SIM at the time, I do have one now, so installed the Fo app, which seems quite user friendly and in English.

Incidentally, I first tried to get a Telekom/T-mpbile prepaid SIM and they refused to sell it to me, they said they only sold to people with Hungarian address cards. This was at their office nearest the Intercontinental. The nearby Vodafone office had no problem selling me one (and was filled with visitors buying them).

The suggestion to take the municipal ferries is a great one. I got off at Margit Island which is a very nice park, complete with dancing waters fountain. There are hourly "concerts" where the fountain dances to music -- I happened to get there for the hour when it played 60s US rock, suddenly it boomed out Chuck Berry followed by Paul Simon and Roy Orbison.

On my last full day, I went to Memento Park, which is far out of town in the middle of nowhere. Best to go by taxi and have the taxi wait, which means an expensive visit as it's about 4,400 Forint one way from the center of town. This park contains a bunch of the statuary from the Communist days. They took the "best" and put it here, sort of a satire of itself. Admission is 1,500 Forint per person, What can I say, it's my kind of place and it elegantly shows off Hungarian attitudes towards the Russians in quite a different way. There's a Trabant there too.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Oct 8, 2016 at 3:00 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.