Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Schengen - What does 90 days in 180 days really mean?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Schengen - What does 90 days in 180 days really mean?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2017, 11:20 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by stimpy
Thanks. I figured it was against the spirit of the law, but wasn't sure if the law was written to cover this specific case. Does anyone have a link to the actual legal text? I googled around a bit but haven't found it yet.

Actually that is not true, at least not yet. Passports are not scanned at every immigration checkpoint across the entire EU. In some cases it may be for technical reasons. In other cases (Paris), it's just because some policemen don't want to it seems. Although that has tightened up quite a bit in the last few years.
I am pretty sure that the regulations refer to a person staying in the Schengen area, not a passport. After all, if you lose your passport your stay doesn't suddenly become illegal.

If the names in the passports differ slightly then I doubt that it would be detected unless someone is paying attention to you specifically.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by KLouis
I only disagree with you when you say "it might just not be detected": It will be detected, as they check everything through the same database in all countries and all immigration checkpoints. A very bad idea...
I do not know if they really do the passport scan all the time, I think I have noticed it once when travelling with a non-EU citizen that they haven't, and also I'm not sure what exactly they see when they scan the passport. Do they get a pop up showing all their arrivals and departures?

In any way, I wanted to point out that independent if the police sees it at the border, I would definitely recommend not to use multiple passports to avoid the 90 days limitation.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 3:31 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by KLouis
I only disagree with you when you say "it might just not be detected": It will be detected, as they check everything through the same database in all countries and all immigration checkpoints. A very bad idea...
I am 100% positive that the detection rate for this is way less than 100%. The detection depends on the valid passport details and some other factors.

I have zero doubt that it's not always detected at the Schengen immigration checkpoints, even when the biodata in both countries' passports are an exact match or just about an exact match with each other.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 3:34 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by :D!
I am pretty sure that the regulations refer to a person staying in the Schengen area, not a passport. After all, if you lose your passport your stay doesn't suddenly become illegal.

If the names in the passports differ slightly then I doubt that it would be detected unless someone is paying attention to you specifically.
The devil is in the details. But generally using different passports doesn't provide a legal exemption from a maximum stay period restriction.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.