how long can US citizen stay in EU countries?

Subscribe
IIRC, a US citizen is only allowed to remain for 3 months out every 180 days.

Can one get around this by visiting another EU country?

Example, I visit my sister in Sweden for 3 months and then I go to Germany.
When can I return to Sweden again? after the 180 days is up? or is it
easier to just get a long visitor visa?

Thanks!
It depends on the country. Read up on the Schengen Zone.
If you do a search here you'll find that this topic has been covered several times before.

Basically, you are allowed 90 days in the entire Schengen Zone. Both Sweden and Germany are in Schengen so you can't get round visa rules by travelling from one Schengen country to another - you have to leave the Schengen Zone and there isn't much left in Europe that isn't in Schengen.

Visas for longer stays are granted by individual countries and conditions vary from country to country - so you will have to check with the embassy of the country you intend to visit.
Quote: If you do a search here you'll find that this topic has been covered several times before.

Basically, you are allowed 90 days in the entire Schengen Zone. Both Sweden and Germany are in Schengen so you can't get round visa rules by travelling from one Schengen country to another - you have to leave the Schengen Zone and there isn't much left in Europe that isn't in Schengen.

Visas for longer stays are granted by individual countries and conditions vary from country to country - so you will have to check with the embassy of the country you intend to visit.
thanks! I just did a search and found many posts. Very good information....

on the flip side, does the US govt have any time restriction on how frequently or how long a WVP-country visitor may come to the US?
Quote: on the flip side, does the US govt have any time restriction on how frequently or how long a WVP-country visitor may come to the US?
It's also 90 days, and you don't get a new 90 days just by going, for example, to Canada for a day. I don't know exactly how frequently VWP visitors can apply for entry. More here: http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/id..._pleasure/vwp/

Within Schengen, you as a US citizen are allowed to be in Schengen 90 days out of a rolling 180 day period, so you can spend up to half of the year in the Schengen zone (example: 90 days in, 90 out, 90 in, 90 out). To "start the clock" over again, you need to leave for 90 days.
Quote: It's also 90 days, and you don't get a new 90 days just by going, for example, to Canada for a day. I don't know exactly how frequently VWP visitors can apply for entry. More here: http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/id..._pleasure/vwp/
I do about 6-8 VWP stays in the US every year, with only 1 each year more than a week and it's never been a problem. (Well, except once in the while they want to claim I'm on a business stay when I'm not, but that's sorted out after a short secondary screening)