Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe including Turkey > Europe
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jun 14, 08, 5:26 am   #1
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 11
how long can US citizen stay in EU countries?

IIRC, a US citizen is only allowed to remain for 3 months out every 180 days.

Can one get around this by visiting another EU country?

Example, I visit my sister in Sweden for 3 months and then I go to Germany.
When can I return to Sweden again? after the 180 days is up? or is it
easier to just get a long visitor visa?

Thanks!
StaplerTeeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 08, 7:47 am   #2
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: in your villages
Programs: legions, foreign and domestic
Posts: 1,472
It depends on the country. Read up on the Schengen Zone.
inyourvillages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 08, 7:52 am   #3
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: UK
Posts: 7,082
If you do a search here you'll find that this topic has been covered several times before.

Basically, you are allowed 90 days in the entire Schengen Zone. Both Sweden and Germany are in Schengen so you can't get round visa rules by travelling from one Schengen country to another - you have to leave the Schengen Zone and there isn't much left in Europe that isn't in Schengen.

Visas for longer stays are granted by individual countries and conditions vary from country to country - so you will have to check with the embassy of the country you intend to visit.
Aviatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 08, 8:05 am   #4
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviatrix View Post
If you do a search here you'll find that this topic has been covered several times before.

Basically, you are allowed 90 days in the entire Schengen Zone. Both Sweden and Germany are in Schengen so you can't get round visa rules by travelling from one Schengen country to another - you have to leave the Schengen Zone and there isn't much left in Europe that isn't in Schengen.

Visas for longer stays are granted by individual countries and conditions vary from country to country - so you will have to check with the embassy of the country you intend to visit.
thanks! I just did a search and found many posts. Very good information....

on the flip side, does the US govt have any time restriction on how frequently or how long a WVP-country visitor may come to the US?
StaplerTeeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 08, 10:17 am   #5
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 11,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaplerTeeth View Post
on the flip side, does the US govt have any time restriction on how frequently or how long a WVP-country visitor may come to the US?
It's also 90 days, and you don't get a new 90 days just by going, for example, to Canada for a day. I don't know exactly how frequently VWP visitors can apply for entry. More here: http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/id..._pleasure/vwp/

Within Schengen, you as a US citizen are allowed to be in Schengen 90 days out of a rolling 180 day period, so you can spend up to half of the year in the Schengen zone (example: 90 days in, 90 out, 90 in, 90 out). To "start the clock" over again, you need to leave for 90 days.
soitgoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 08, 1:39 pm   #6
hch
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: INN
Posts: 2,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by soitgoes View Post
It's also 90 days, and you don't get a new 90 days just by going, for example, to Canada for a day. I don't know exactly how frequently VWP visitors can apply for entry. More here: http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/id..._pleasure/vwp/
I do about 6-8 VWP stays in the US every year, with only 1 each year more than a week and it's never been a problem. (Well, except once in the while they want to claim I'm on a business stay when I'm not, but that's sorted out after a short secondary screening)
hch is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:42 pm.