Wiki Posts
Search

Santorini - Caldera View Accommodations for Honeymoon - Oia - July 2007

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2006, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

Santorini - Caldera View Accommodations for Honeymoon - Oia - July 2007

Hello FTalkers,
In the second stages of planning my Honeymoon - July 2007. knowing the soon to be Mrs Klarity like I do, I know she would treasure a stunning Caldera View Room and access (within 30 minutes or so) to a beach. For this I have narrowed the scope of this trip to Santorini in Oia or maybe Fira. I will spend two nights in ATH and then take a ferry to Santorina and a flight back to ATH (I have not planned this part out just yet- next weeks project) That being said I would like to get some recommendations on suites. I think my preferance is the quieter Oia but I may be to Fira as well. Here is what I seek:

- Five nights
- Caldera View Room - private balcony - Higher the better
- The beautiful whitewash buildings
- Maybe some form of a honeymoon suite or "enhanced" living area
- A jacuzzi (in room) would be nice
- Breakfast
- Less than of 325 Euros (~$400 USD) per night would be really really desirable however I know due to the season this may not be possible and I may be willing to spend more if the room is worth it.

I realize this is a tall order. I hope I have started my planning early enough. I have seen a few hotels/villas referenced in other threads such as Katikies and Dana Suites. My frustration is that a lot of the hotels do not show the different room types.

Are there any other recommendations/comments on these or others hotels? I am a little wary of just going by the reviews on fodors and tripadvisor. FT hasn't failed me yet!!!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!
- K
Old Oct 22, 2006, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, DL FO, DL MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt platinum
I've been researching Oia for a May visit. Having stayed before in both Fira and Oia, I strongly recommend Oia for a honeymoon. Fira is likely to be overrun when you plan to go.
Other hotels in Oia that seem to me to be worth a close look include Esperas, Art Maisons and Canaves (although it will stretch your budget).
Hope this helps.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 10:39 pm

Programs: UA/AA
Qia

I was in Santorini last Spring (late May), and both Qia and Fira were absolutely packed with tourists, and particularly American tourists.

The reason is that Santorini is now on the itinerary for many of the larger eastern Mediterrean cruise ships. So, during the daylight hours, the streets of both cities are absolutely packed with the cruise ship tourists. And most of the local shops cater to the "daytrip" type cruise ship customer (aka Greek version of Tijauana). When I was there in May, there were five giant Princess Cruise type ships docked in the caldera waters. I cannot even imagine what it must be like in July

Forget about local beaches. The beaches near Oia are small, very rocky coves. Most of the better beaches are on the other side of Santorini, at least an hours drive away (and maybe longer in July).

Most of the newer hotels do have small swimming pools that are cut into the cliffs.

Sorry to be so negative about Qia. I was there 20 years ago, and was overwhelmed by the serenity of the villiage. But the villliage has experience tremendous economic development, and has lost a lot of the magic. To Qia's credit, they do strictly enforce the city's outdoor lighting codes. At nightfall, the soft lights of Qia are really very beautiful against the sun setting in the western sky.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 5:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by donlind
I've been researching Oia for a May visit. Having stayed before in both Fira and Oia, I strongly recommend Oia for a honeymoon. Fira is likely to be overrun when you plan to go.
Other hotels in Oia that seem to me to be worth a close look include Esperas, Art Maisons and Canaves (although it will stretch your budget).
Hope this helps.
These options are great and the pricing seems right (Except Canavas...but that is tempting!)

Thanks for the suggestions. Anything else that comes to mind please send along.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jaymar01
Forget about local beaches. The beaches near Oia are small, very rocky coves. Most of the better beaches are on the other side of Santorini, at least an hours drive away (and maybe longer in July).
I am OK with the drive. Is it recommended to rent a car or should round-trip transportation be pretty easy and cost effective?

Originally Posted by jaymar01
Sorry to be so negative about Qia. I was there 20 years ago, and was overwhelmed by the serenity of the villiage. But the villliage has experience tremendous economic development, and has lost a lot of the magic. To Qia's credit, they do strictly enforce the city's outdoor lighting codes. At nightfall, the soft lights of Qia are really very beautiful against the sun setting in the western sky.
No worries. I appreciate the honesty. I may not know what I am missing having never been.

K
Old Oct 24, 2006, 12:34 am

Programs: QFF Gold, Velocity + Miles & More
I stayed in the http://www.volcanoviewvillas.com/index.html which was fantastic. I highly recommend you hire a car or a quad bike on Santorini. If you go to Red Beach get there early as it gets very busy. I loved Santorini but the beaches are not the best. I suggest you go to Franco’s in Fira bar for a sunset cocktail get there early as all the best seats go quickly!
Old Oct 24, 2006, 12:56 am

Programs: AA Gold, Husband AA EXP (yeah!!) Hya Dia, Marriott
It's been years (like we weren't even married yet & we're coming up on our 18th Ann), but we stayed at the Atlantis Villas. Are they still there? They fit the bill for view, whitewashed & cool pool. I do remember my now husband cracking his head on the low beams, as the suites are built into old caves or something... Again, these are very old (but very fond!) memories! Any updates from anyone?
Old Oct 24, 2006, 1:02 am

Originally Posted by brendamc
It's been years (like we weren't even married yet & we're coming up on our 18th Ann), but we stayed at the Atlantis Villas. Are they still there? They fit the bill for view, whitewashed & cool pool. I do remember my now husband cracking his head on the low beams, as the suites are built into old caves or something... Again, these are very old (but very fond!) memories! Any updates from anyone?
Just googled (AKA The Google ) & found they became the Katkides Suites & now they are the Kirini Suites.

I do remember one negative - our 'double' was two wood framed twins pushed together - be sure & confirm (this goes for anywhere in Europe) you're getting a true Queen or King bed!

Last edited by brendamc; Oct 24, 2006 at 1:15 am
Old Oct 24, 2006, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Thira & Imerovigli

Just googled (AKA The Google ) & found they became the Katkides Suites & now they are the Kirini Suites.

These are NICE!!!!!!!!! Somewhat off the budget but maybe~

I haveone more question. What about Thira & Imerovigli. The rates are better at. places like this http://www.altana.gr/home.htm

What are the location differences?

Last edited by K7Beach; Oct 24, 2006 at 9:59 pm Reason: New thougts
Old Oct 24, 2006, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by Klarity7
These are NICE!!!!!!!!! Somewhat off the budget but maybe~

I haveone more question. What about Thira & Imerovigli. The rates are better at. places like this http://www.altana.gr/home.htm

Thira (Fira) is the main town & a bit of a zoo - even 20 years ago! The cruise ships dock befow & if I remember correctly, is in the center of the island. Oia was a much quieter village, at one end of the island, with fabulous views back or the caldera & the whitewashed buildings & churches you are looking for. Don't know about Imerovigli.

Whatever you do, rent 'Summer Lovers' before you go!
Old Oct 24, 2006, 11:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Thira (Fira) is the main town & a bit of a zoo - even 20 years ago! The cruise ships dock befow & if I remember correctly, is in the center of the island. Oia was a much quieter village, at one end of the island, with fabulous views back or the caldera & the whitewashed buildings & churches you are looking for. Don't know about Imerovigli.
Enjoyed a couple of trips to the island in the past 6 years, though didn't pony of the bucks for a cliffside view and stayed at the much more moderate Santorini Palace instead. It was nice, had wonderful rooms with thick French door out on to a patio that blocked almost all the daylight allowing me to sleep in late. ^ Hey, it was a holiday! It's in Firastefani, which is walking distance to shops & restaurants. Yeah, Fira can become crowded at times but wasn't bad when I've been there in late May a few times.

Anyway, one note about Oia I wanted to pass on which is the evening watching of the sunset, a popular tourist custom. If you are on a vila on the inside of the caldera you won't get this sunset view from your room and will have to join the throng nightly on the other side, a short walk away. Also, if you are lower down the lip of the caldera, there can both quite a hike up & down narrow steps plus less privacy as almost everyone above can see down to your 'private' terrace.

Just some advice. Enjoy Greece. ^
Old Oct 25, 2006, 11:00 am

Imerovigli is between Fira (/Thira) and Oia, closest to Fira, and with similar location on the cliff. Compared to Oia (forget Fira, it's not that special) it's much less commercialized and crowded, not quite as cute or posh (but still breathtaking), and less costly.

We stayed on the other side of the island when we were there in 2000 and 2004, but would choose Imerovigli over Oia for Caldera view accommodation.
Old Oct 25, 2006, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Whatever you do, rent 'Summer Lovers' before you go!

Thanks. Just added to my netflix list!
Old Oct 25, 2006, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Newburg
We stayed on the other side of the island when we were there in 2000 and 2004, but would choose Imerovigli over Oia for Caldera view accommodation.
Thanks for this. I don't so much mind being close to a little action as I may roll out of bed after three days of sleep and actually want to do something.

It seems as if Imerovigli would allow me to get way more room for the money. I can afford to stay in a much nicer place there. Do you think as a first timer I will find myself feeling like I missed something? Will I find myself heading to Oia for the sunsets and caldera views or should Imerovigli fit the bill? (For reference I live in Atlanta so pretty much any non-land locked sunset will impress!)

Last edited by K7Beach; Oct 25, 2006 at 4:17 pm Reason: mistype
Old Oct 25, 2006, 7:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Thanks for this. I don't so much mind being close to a little action as I may roll out of bed after three days of sleep and actually want to do something.

It seems as if Imerovigli would allow me to get way more room for the money. I can afford to stay in a much nicer place there. Do you think as a first timer I will find myself feeling like I missed something? Will I find myself heading to Oia for the sunsets and caldera views or should Imerovigli fit the bill? (For reference I live in Atlanta so pretty much any non-land locked sunset will impress!)
This map isn't National Geographic or anything, but it gives you an overview of the island, including beaches. Oia at one end of the cresent shaped island and so offers the best sunsets whereas Imerovigli on the inside of the caldera and the sunset would be blocked by the island. But, hey, stay in Imerovigli and bus it out one or two nights, have supper and join the throng in Oia to catch the sunset. The bus ride more than worth the small price alone, never mind the sunset. ^

http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgur...&ct=image&cd=2

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.