Need help with Bucharest, Romania

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need help with Bucharest, Romania

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2006, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by aSiAnRiCk
Now my choices are narrowed down to either Bratislava, Slovenia or Budapest, Hungary. Fares on the LCC's are cheapest to these two countries from BUH
Slovakia, not Slovenia. Slovenia is further South, its capital is called Ljubljana (and is also worth visiting)
Old Oct 28, 2006, 2:46 am

Wizzair flights to/from Bucharest are now available for booking into late August (and possibly later).

Don't forget that if you go to Bratislava, it is very easy to get to Vienna (shuttle bus ride).
Old Oct 28, 2006, 7:56 am

Programs: UA 1P
I still haven't figured out where I want to go as a side trip. Now my choices are narrowed down to either Bratislava, Slovenia or Budapest, Hungary.
If you choose Bratislava, Vienna is only a short bus ride away. Something like an hour I believe. Or the train is about the same price and takes about the same amount of time.
Old Oct 29, 2006, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
While on the subject of LCCs
If you are travelling to Romania after Jan.15
Make sure to grab some of those sale seats on Wizzair or SkyEurope right now while they have their sales on with "free tickets" available to BTS,BUD,CIA,DTM (~$30 in taxes)

We grabbed BUD for CAD32 return!!
Old Oct 29, 2006, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
Originally Posted by Aviatrix
Slovakia, not Slovenia. Slovenia is further South, its capital is called Ljubljana (and is also worth visiting)
Sorry for the ignorance and thank you. I was browsing www.virtualtourist.com at the same time when I posted that so my mind got confused
Old Oct 29, 2006, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WillTravel
Wizzair flights to/from Bucharest are now available for booking into late August (and possibly later).

Don't forget that if you go to Bratislava, it is very easy to get to Vienna (shuttle bus ride).
Originally Posted by deejboram
If you choose Bratislava, Vienna is only a short bus ride away. Something like an hour I believe. Or the train is about the same price and takes about the same amount of time.
Thanks for the info. Yeah someone else told me about this but I haven't checked to see if I need a visa to go to Austria. I'm an Indonesian citizen.

So far I need to get a visa for Romania, the Netherlands and Spain. With Austria on top of that, going to be additional $200 just in visa
Old Oct 30, 2006, 1:40 am

Thanks for the info. Yeah someone else told me about this but I haven't checked to see if I need a visa to go to Austria. I'm an Indonesian citizen.

So far I need to get a visa for Romania, the Netherlands and Spain. With Austria on top of that, going to be additional $200 just in visa
The Netherlands, Spain and Austria are all covered by the same visa (called a Schengen visa). As long as any side trips you take are to Schengen countries you only need the one visa (but... if you use Wizzair to "Vienna" they're actually going to Bratislava which means you may need a Slovakian visa)
Old Nov 21, 2006, 3:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Aviatrix
The Netherlands, Spain and Austria are all covered by the same visa (called a Schengen visa). As long as any side trips you take are to Schengen countries you only need the one visa (but... if you use Wizzair to "Vienna" they're actually going to Bratislava which means you may need a Slovakian visa)
Sorry for the late reply but thanks for the info! ^

I was wondering if there's a direct BUH-VIE flight on the LCC's? Slovakia wanted $100 bucks for their Visa
Old Nov 21, 2006, 1:21 pm

Sorry for the late reply but thanks for the info! ^

I was wondering if there's a direct BUH-VIE flight on the LCC's? Slovakia wanted $100 bucks for their Visa
Not on the LCCs, but I did read SkyEurope is opening a base in Vienna. Doubt they'll use it for Bucharest, though. Have you looked at what Tarom offers? It's not so cheap, but with that $100 fee, it might be worth it.

Note that you can book open-jaw itineraries with Tarom online at www.tarom.ro - but it's complicated. They explained it to me by email. You have to search for a regular return itinerary to anywhere. Then when you get that, click the Start Over link that you see on that page. Then a new page opens, and click the Multiple Destinations link on that page.

Also note you can book open-jaw itineraries with Blue Air, if you telephone them. Again, they explained this to me by email. I was quite shocked when I sent off these two email queries to two separate Romanian airlines, and actually got useful replies! Very good customer service, even if the web site interfaces are lacking.
Old Nov 24, 2006, 2:25 pm

Germanwings has just started allowing bookings for Cologne-Bucharest flights in the new year.
Old Nov 24, 2006, 8:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Germanwings has just started allowing bookings for Cologne-Bucharest flights in the new year.
Yeah, just looked for Aug '07 and 77.00 EUR incl tax RT to Cologne makes for an interesting proposition versus staying in BUH for a whole week.
Old Nov 25, 2006, 2:59 am
Original Poster

Not on the LCCs, but I did read SkyEurope is opening a base in Vienna. Doubt they'll use it for Bucharest, though. Have you looked at what Tarom offers? It's not so cheap, but with that $100 fee, it might be worth it.
I think I have found out a great news!! I found this info on the Slovakia Embassy's website .. what do you think?
From October 13, 2006 all foreigners with visa requirements do not need visa to the Slovak Republic for transit or staying there for no more than three months during every six months period from the day of their first entry, if they submit a valid travel document in which they have:
a) permission for residence - issued by the EEA member state,
b) long-term visa (national) - issued by the EEA member state,
c) multiply short-term visa - issued by the EEA member state,
d) other travel document - issued by the EEA member state, which guarantees for the holder return to the state issuing such document. For example Travel Document for stateless person (Convention, September 28, 1954) or Travel Document for refugees (Convention, July 28, 1951), issued by the EEA member state .

Note: EEA member states are EU member states plus Norway, Island, Lichtenstein and Switzerland. This above mentioned non-visa regime does not apply to foreigners with visa requirements, if they have long-term (national) visa or residence permit, issued by the United Kingdom and for the holder of one entry (single) visa, issued by the EEA member state
Since I'm going to be apply for the multiple entries Schengen visa, I think I'll be good!
Old Nov 28, 2006, 12:28 am

I think I have found out a great news!! I found this info on the Slovakia Embassy's website .. what do you think?
Since I'm going to be apply for the multiple entries Schengen visa, I think I'll be good!
I'm hesitant to say, but it certainly sounds like you're good to go.

I asked by email, and found out that Blue Air is releasing their August schedules in January. I should have asked for other months as well, but now at least we know this.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Anybody know of a hotel in relatively close proximity to OTP? I'm looking at a short overnight stay and don't want to stray too far from the airport.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 1:33 am

Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
Anybody know of a hotel in relatively close proximity to OTP? I'm looking at a short overnight stay and don't want to stray too far from the airport.
Booking.com had a good deal on the 3* Confort Hotel Otopeni - about 47 Euros, and with a shuttle. I haven't been there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.