Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Are Europeans into Decaf Coffee?

Old May 10, 2005, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Seems like an odd question but I was wondering how ubiquitous decaf coffee might be in Europe. I don't mean the Sanka kind but brewed decaf. We'll be in Geneva and Rome this fall and if necessary, we'll bring our own decaf packets for the room coffeee maker.
Old May 10, 2005, 3:08 pm

The first question you should ask is: "How common are room coffee makers?".

They are quite common here in the UK (though usually in the form of kettles rather than coffee machines) but much less so on the Continent - so unless your room description says it's got one you can probably assume that it hasn't got one.

Europeans aren't into decaf in the same way that Americans are but you should have no problems buying it in a supermarket - so no need to cart it across the Atlantic
Old May 10, 2005, 3:55 pm

Europe is rather a large and diverse place, and I wouldn't try to answer for the whole place.

I have not had any trouble finding decaf at restaurants in France, Benelux, and Italy. Additionally, Starbucks is starting to become a serious presence in western Europe (to say nothing of Asia), and decaf is very much available there.
Old May 10, 2005, 3:58 pm

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
Well, Italians are experts in the art of coffee making but if you tried asking for a "Decaf skinny soy latte" most people there probably wouldn't have a clue what that is, unless of course they happen to be Australian.
Old May 10, 2005, 5:47 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Executive Club Gold/Frequence Plus Red
Forget about room coffee makers on the continent. Most of the hotels don't have any.
You speak about Geneva: decaf is available in all coffe shops and restaurants under the name Caf Hag. It is a brand and everybody will know it. This, of course, only in Switzerland. If you want more fancy types of decaf, Starbucks will be your only choice.
Old May 10, 2005, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by magexpect
You speak about Geneva: decaf is available in all coffe shops and restaurants under the name Caf Hag.
Same in Italy, you can get Caf Hag in pretty much any bar (e.g. coffee shop). Also, in many you can get a Cafe Orzo or Cappuccino Orzo. Orzo is a barley drink, thick, black, coffee-like, quite good and without caffeine.
Old May 11, 2005, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by Gargoyle
Same in Italy, you can get Caf Hag in pretty much any bar (e.g. coffee shop). Also, in many you can get a Cafe Orzo or Cappuccino Orzo. Orzo is a barley drink, thick, black, coffee-like, quite good and without caffeine.
In Italy, ask for a decaffeinato for the decaf version of an Italian coffee. If you're looking for the less concentrated version (closer to coffee served in N America), ask for a decaffeinato lungo.
Old May 11, 2005, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge Vintage) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
Readily available in France in most restaurants and cafs - just ask for a "dca" (day-kah). This will be decaf from the espresso machine. Filtered (drip) coffee in restaurants and cafs is uncommon; in cafs, you can ask for a pot of hot water to add to your espresso yourself (ask for a double espresso if you do this, you will get a much bigger cup in which to add the water).

I haven't ever seen a hotel room with coffee makers in France.
Old May 11, 2005, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
I went shoping for cofee in Paris and Vienna within the past 1/2 year. Monoprix in Paris had a somewhat limited selection of groud decaf, no wholebean. The Spar in Vienna had, IIRC, exactly 1 whole bean decaf out of some 20 brands/labels of whole bean coffees. Didn't check out the offerings at coffee shops, or supermarkets in Amsterdam and London.

As for coffee makers in hotels, maybe the Europeans prefer a real kettle so one can get water up to boiling temperature for making tea. Can't do that with a coffee maker where you usually get a taste of coffee too.
Old May 11, 2005, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Thanks All

My unnecessary worries and concerns about not having my noncaffeinated fix have been allayed. Thanks again
Old Apr 6, 2016, 11:20 am

hi, I have troubles not only with coffee but with decaf. I've read the article about effects of caffeine on the body and now don't know what to drink. Who know the answer?!
Old May 4, 2016, 1:50 am

Programs: A3 *G, Hilton Diamond, Accor Silver
I say follow the advice found in the last paragraph of the article: Drink coffee but don't overdo.
Old May 4, 2016, 2:29 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by droider
... and now don't know what to drink. Who know the answer?!
Tea, still/sparkling water, soft drinks, juices to start in the day!?
Old May 4, 2016, 4:01 am

Originally Posted by droider
hi, I have troubles not only with coffee but with decaf. I've read the article about effects of caffeine on the body and now don't know what to drink. Who know the answer?!
It's not the answer but it may be helpful! Many years ago, a good friend of mine who would spend half his time flying across all continents was getting tired of not being able to sleep in a regular way. The solution he chose was to stop drinking regular tea and coffee switching to herb tea and decaf. About two-three years later he was offered the DG position of a large international agency in Europe and he moved from the US. Before starting his new job he had to take a thorough physical exam; the doctor found him in good health, he nevertheless asked him how his sleep was. My friend replied that he had irregular sleep that had not improved, although he had completely quit caffeine (he said the latter in a proud way). The doctor's simple reaction to this was "...then start drinking real coffee again"!
Old May 4, 2016, 5:29 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Portugal - decaf is available in most cafes/restaurants, though few drink it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.