Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Republic of Cyprus denying entry to 3rd country nationals if planning to go to TRNC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Republic of Cyprus denying entry to 3rd country nationals if planning to go to TRNC

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2017, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level

Interior Ministry Issues Order to Return Third-Country Citizens Visiting North

Regulations freeze after tourists turned away/

Moral of the story if you come to Cyprus via Larnaca or Paphos and the immigration officer asks where you are staying, don't say you are staying in the North.

The question I have is why is this an issue only with 3rd country nationals. The only plausible answer I can come up with relates to freedom of movement of EU citizens within EU countries and the fact that the TRNC is not recognized by the EU.

I expect to be having fun at the border crossings in the near future. I do have a long-term residency permit for the RoC, but I am a 3rd country national (US Passport).

Have no idea how this will affect those non-EU citizens who choose to fly into ECN and then cross into the RoC.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
More info on this nonsense

North Tourist Ban Came from Foreign Ministry

Order to Turn Away Third Country Nationals Given by Foreign Ministry Official

So apparently the order was given by an un-named Foreign Ministry Official and the Foreign Minister knew nothing about it. Typical Cyprus bureaucratic ineptness.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 5:59 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Oh dear, so any future visits will have to be via LCA and not Ercan Airport.
I wonder for how long this Diplomatic issue will carry on?
Old Oct 2, 2017, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by roadwarrier
The separation of the island started in 1974 with the Turkish invasion in the north of the island, and the border opened, partially, some 10-15 years ago. So, the only way to answer your rhetorical question is "long".
roadwarrier likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by roadwarrier
There has been nothing in the news about this since I originally posted. Additionally, SBA police (who man the crossing at Ayios Nikolaos, and Pyla) have no information on this and have no issue with third country nationals crossing into the TRNC and then returning to the RoC.

The whole thing seems to be a cluster.
roadwarrier likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 1:58 am

Originally Posted by STBCypriot
There has been nothing in the news about this since I originally posted. Additionally, SBA police (who man the crossing at Ayios Nikolaos, and Pyla) have no information on this and have no issue with third country nationals crossing into the TRNC and then returning to the RoC.
But that is a slightly different scenario, as you entered ROC "legally" via LCA or other airport/sea port, where as the ROC considers entering via ECN to be illegal - http://www.mfa.gov.cy/mfa/mfa2016.ns...B?OpenDocument

How much of this is actually enforced is a whole different story I guess.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ditto
But that is a slightly different scenario, as you entered ROC "legally" via LCA or other airport/sea port, where as the ROC considers entering via ECN to be illegal - http://www.mfa.gov.cy/mfa/mfa2016.ns...B?OpenDocument

How much of this is actually enforced is a whole different story I guess.
This is true, but the point of my original post was that the RoC was denying entry at LCA to 3rd country nationals who said they would be going to the TRNC.

Yes, I enter at LCA, and yes I go to the TRNC, but I have a residency permit to live in the RoC. I have never been asked at LCA if I am going to the TRNC.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 4:30 pm

This is true, but the point of my original post was that the RoC was denying entry at LCA to 3rd country nationals who said they would be going to the TRNC.

Yes, I enter at LCA, and yes I go to the TRNC, but I have a residency permit to live in the RoC. I have never been asked at LCA if I am going to the TRNC.
If you are holding a residence permit from the RoC, I assume you also live in the RoC? Why would they then ask you where will you stay?
I suppose it will be next to impossible for them to deny you entry if you are holding a residence permit, as that effectively means revoking it, where as it is much easier for them to deny entry to a "random" 3rd country national
Old Oct 14, 2017, 12:32 am

Programs: UA/AA
In the context of all the insanity with Turkey suspending VISA's for Americans....are Americans currently able to cross into the TRNC from the Republic of Cyprus?
Old Oct 17, 2017, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jaymar01
In the context of all the insanity with Turkey suspending VISA's for Americans....are Americans currently able to cross into the TRNC from the Republic of Cyprus?
Yes, as far as I know. There is no need for a visa to go into the TRNC from the RoC and passports are not stamped when entering and exiting.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 12:48 pm

Further reports suggests another group of 39 Israeli citizens were denied entry today at Larnaca airport while heading to a poker tournament at the northern side.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 9:31 am
Suspended

The north is an occupied area of Cyprus. It is not recognized by ANY country other than Turkey. Turkey of course being the country whose military invaded Cyprus. There is no 'border' as a border only exists between two countries. The area occupied is considered illegally occupied by international law.

Before choosing to visit the Turkish occupied area, I would suggest doing some historical research and then deciding if you wish to support the illegal Turkish occupation in any way. Going to a poker tournament or as a tourist, is in fact showing support of the occupation.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=cypru...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Unfortunately, most people going to the north today probably are not aware of the history as the occupation happened 43 years ago.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ditto
Further reports suggests another group of 39 Israeli citizens were denied entry today at Larnaca airport while heading to a poker tournament at the northern side.
This is correct. There seems to be a big crackdown at LCA with regard to people flying into the ROC and then travelling to the TRNC to stay in the TRNC. Since I have lived in Cyprus (going on 7 years now), I have not seen any issues like this until this year and only in the past 5 months.

Anyway, I did a test crossing by car last week - I hold a US passport with a long-term residency permit for Cyprus. There were no issues with me crossing into the TRNC (didn't expect any as only TRNC officials look at your passport when you cross) and, although my passport was given extra scrutiny by the SBA police at the ROC section of the crossing, there were no problems with me re-entering the ROC. I emphasize that I do have a ROC residency permit so I have no idea what issues a third country national who does not have a residency permit would have.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 7:24 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by jaymar01
Yes, as far as I know. There is no need for a visa to go into the TRNC from the RoC and passports are not stamped when entering and exiting.
Is this still true? That is, as an American with a US passport entering Larnaca Airport, can I travel across the border to the North and come back with no issues? I will only be staying in the North for the day (just to sightsee), all overnights are in Cyprus.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Is this still true? That is, as an American with a US passport entering Larnaca Airport, can I travel across the border to the North and come back with no issues? I will only be staying in the North for the day (just to sightsee), all overnights are in Cyprus.
Yes, it is true. You should have no problems.

I cross at least once a week or so (on a US passport) - gas costs less than $1/L there now with the devaluation of the Turkish lira. It costs 1.33 euros/L in the ROC. I'm saving about $18 every time I fill my tank.
TravelinSperry likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.