Reload this Page >

Buying goods from LHR duty free and re-importing back into EU

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buying goods from LHR duty free and re-importing back into EU

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2017, 5:01 am

I don't think how long you have had it has much to do with anything in this context, other than affecting the value on which the duty/VAT is assessed. If it's more than the threshold then charges are due.

Now whether the person declares or not, is entirely up to them. It's like speeding - lots of people do it every day, few get caught. But those that do typically have no legitimate defence.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 5:02 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
I don't think how long you have had it has much to do with anything in this context, other than affecting the value on which the duty/VAT is assessed. If it's more than the threshold then charges are due.

Now whether the person declares or not, is entirely up to them. It's like speeding - lots of people do it every day, few get caught. But those that do typically have no legitimate defence.
Other than a moral and equitable one
Old Sep 13, 2017, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Would they really go through so much trouble for 1 laptop for personal usage?
Yes, they would. That's from personal experience of what HMCE (as they then were) was prepared to do when someone I know tried to bring a substantively-new-but-used-once low-end SLR camera into the UK.

The worst case scenario, by the way, is a criminal record for dishonesty. For many of us, that could be quite career limiting.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 6:01 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
deleted

Last edited by ahmetdouas; Nov 12, 2017 at 10:06 am
Old Sep 13, 2017, 6:03 am

deleted

Old Sep 13, 2017, 6:04 am

deleted

Old Sep 13, 2017, 6:10 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Yes, they would. That's from personal experience of what HMCE (as they then were) was prepared to do when someone I know tried to bring a substantively-new-but-used-once low-end SLR camera into the UK.

The worst case scenario, by the way, is a criminal record for dishonesty. For many of us, that could be quite career limiting.
But what were the circumstances? In other words, how did it even come to their attention?
Old Sep 13, 2017, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by sts603
But what were the circumstances? In other words, how did it even come to their attention?
A random green channel stop. And then, apparently, the agents went away for some time to verify the age of the camera and came up with the correct answer.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
No there is a threshold. That's why used cars do not have VAT on them! VAT is usually for new items.
You are wrong and have already been told this.

In the UK VAT is due on used cars when sold by a dealer.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 6:27 am

Programs: not a lot
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear

The question is on how much of the value of the transaction.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 6:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Globaliser
A random green channel stop. And then, apparently, the agents went away for some time to verify the age of the camera and came up with the correct answer.
Wow. That actually surprises me. Though I still stick by my statement that the risk is de minimis and it is likely a far better gamble to take reasonable precautions (removing labeling, price tags, boxes, etc.) than to always declare. Nevermind the joy I get by not having another pence stolen from me by the thieves at HMRC.

And obviously, for non-electronic goods, the thieves (HMRC for you liberals) have far less ability to prove anything, even a reasonable suspicion of anything.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 6:31 am

Speeding? haha, I just stick with the 10% +2 MPH to avoid those naughty points and it's worked out so far!
however in Greece, as anyone visiting would know, speed limits are there for guidance purposes only!
My chum got done for doing 76 on a motorway. Just because you haven't been caught doesn't mean there is a 10% rule, even though many people think there is / should be.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 6:35 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear

And it's reasonably complicated to account for as well - just look up "second hand margin scheme" to understand how the dealer minimises the VAT content due to HMRC to maximise their profits.

Anyway, that's heading just a tad off-topic, so to redress the balance - as cws has said, actually the UK now has a comparatively generous allowance for self-imported goods of £390. For foreign currency transactions, the exchange rate used is determined at the start of every month and fixed (except in exceptional circumstances of large movements in rate), so when working out if you're beneath the limit you need to consult the HMRC website to determine the current rate. This is from the time of import, not purchase. You must hand carry the goods in personally - very much lower rates apply for items that are posted.

The allowance wasn't always this high - it wasn't so many years ago that it was, iirc, just over £100. Many, many years ago - long before Turkey was part of the customs union, and indeed probably before the union existed - my parents brought a rug back from a family holiday there which was over the value limit, along with a few other bits and pieces which therefore also become dutiable as a result. We walked through the red channel, declared the rug, along with about 30 boxes of Turkish Delight brought back for family and friends! The customs officer saw the funny side, and decided that probably he could let the sweets go ...
Old Sep 13, 2017, 6:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
And it's reasonably complicated to account for as well - just look up "second hand margin scheme" to understand how the dealer minimises the VAT content due to HMRC to maximise their profits.

Anyway, that's heading just a tad off-topic, so to redress the balance - as cws has said, actually the UK now has a comparatively generous allowance for self-imported goods of £390. For foreign currency transactions, the exchange rate used is determined at the start of every month and fixed (except in exceptional circumstances of large movements in rate), so when working out if you're beneath the limit you need to consult the HMRC website to determine the current rate. This is from the time of import, not purchase. You must hand carry the goods in personally - very much lower rates apply for items that are posted.

The allowance wasn't always this high - it wasn't so many years ago that it was, iirc, just over £100. Many, many years ago - long before Turkey was part of the customs union, and indeed probably before the union existed - my parents brought a rug back from a family holiday there which was over the value limit, along with a few other bits and pieces which therefore also become dutiable as a result. We walked through the red channel, declared the rug, along with about 30 boxes of Turkish Delight brought back for family and friends! The customs officer saw the funny side, and decided that probably he could let the sweets go ...
And the rug?
Old Sep 13, 2017, 6:57 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by sts603
Wow. That actually surprises me. Though I still stick by my statement that the risk is de minimis and it is likely a far better gamble to take reasonable precautions (removing labeling, price tags, boxes, etc.) than to always declare.
The most notorious example I can recall was when the wife of a CCR regular, Mrs Wayne Rooney (as she currently is) was one of 14 people spot checked at Manchester Airport from a JFK flight operated by AA, after a shopping trip. She wasn't charged with an offence (there were mitigating circumstances), but she left MAN with rather less than she arrived. She wasn't targeted. You may see it as a gamble, but getting a criminal record as a result of deliberately defrauding the state needs to factored into this gamble.

On the other hand if you do unilaterally declare your items, you may well find the HMRC are fairly charitable, unofficially, e.g. rounding figures up or down in your favour.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.