Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Salzburg MUSTS?

Salzburg MUSTS?

Old Aug 14, 2017, 6:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Avios
Question Salzburg MUSTS?

Will be in Salzburg, Austria 12/20 for two days...looking for MUST DO's in terms of sightseeing and restaurants-any suggestions?

I love Mozart and, obviously, the two Mozart locations (where he was born and lived) are already on my list.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help.

Walt
Old Aug 14, 2017, 8:26 am

Programs: A3 *G, Hilton Diamond, Accor Silver
The cable car might be of interest:

http://www.untersbergbahn.at/
Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:05 am
Suspended

Programs: Accor, IHG, LH, BAEC, DB
Castle, Mönchsberg, Cathedral.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:08 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
At that time of year, the Christmas market will be worth a walk through.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 2:12 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
I've done Salzburg as a day trip from Berchtesgaden 3 or 4 times over the years during the Advent season.

Definitely a whole day could be spent wandering around the Altstadt and the Advent markets and taking the funicular up to and visiting the Hohensalzburg castle. We've eaten at several places in the Altstadt but none really stood out to us as being so good as to return.

If you have a car, the surrounding area is beautiful. I'm partial to Berchtesgaden and Bad Reichenhall for nice Advent markets and good places to eat. A bit further away is the Rauschberg in Ruhpolding...on certain days, there is an Advent market (and great hiking) at the top of the mountain that you need to take a gondola to get to.

If those are options, I can post more specific recommendations.

Last edited by work2fly; Aug 14, 2017 at 6:00 pm
Old Aug 15, 2017, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Avios
Smile Thank you so very much!

Thank you all for your thoughts.

Much appreciated!

Walt
Old Aug 15, 2017, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
When you visit the Fortress, walk along the ridge to the Augustiner Beer Hall at Kloster Mulln. It's about a 45-60 walk to great beer hall with excellent beer, food stalls, and atmosphere. It's an easy bus ride back to the area by the base of the cable car to the fortress.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 9:31 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
For a nice dinner I can recommend the "Zum fidelen Affen". Good food, nice service. Reservation is recommended. Website Zum fidelen Affen
Old Aug 21, 2017, 10:54 pm

Programs: WN A list, UA Gold, AA Gold, Marriott LT Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LAX2Anywhere
When you visit the Fortress, walk along the ridge to the Augustiner Beer Hall at Kloster Mulln. It's about a 45-60 walk to great beer hall with excellent beer, food stalls, and atmosphere. It's an easy bus ride back to the area by the base of the cable car to the fortress.
Another vote for the Augustiner Beer Hall, the beer garden might not be open because it's winter, but interior is still very interesting to see. It is a much more authentic experience than the tourist filled Hofbrauhaus in Munich.

I was going to suggest Mirabell Garden, but you'll be there in winter so probably not much to see.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 9:59 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite+, Cathay S, Singapore S, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Maybe have lunch at Schloss Fuschl and have a walk along the lake?
http://www.schlossfuschlsalzburg.com/en

edited to add, just saw this is a December trip. They'll have a Christmas market at the Schloss as well!
Old Aug 24, 2017, 1:51 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
A couple beat me to Augustiner Mülln -- many rooms, each with a different character and an interesting food court

If you like wheat beers Die Weisse brewpub always has some interesting ones on.

There is also a Hotel Sacher, owned by the same family as the original in Vienna (from the late 1980's, IIRC) so you can have a Großer Brauner & Sachertorte

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.