Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Do I have I have enough time transferring at Athens (ATH)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do I have I have enough time transferring at Athens (ATH)?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2017, 12:17 am
Original Poster

Question Do I have I have enough time transferring at Athens (ATH)?

I will be traveling with a US passport on a OA flight from Chania Greece, landing ATH at 7:35am, and would like to connect to a TK flight departing ATH at 10:10am for Istanbul (with a through ticket to SFO). I do not have a through ticket from OA to TK, and I have checked bags. Do I have enough time for making this transfer in ATH, with baggage claim, passport control, security etc?
Old Jul 22, 2017, 2:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Plenty of time. Not to worry. Transferring in Athens, even with claiming luggage and rechecking, is relatively quick and painless.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by mutro
I will be traveling with a US passport on a OA flight from Chania Greece, landing ATH at 7:35am, and would like to connect to a TK flight departing ATH at 10:10am for Istanbul (with a through ticket to SFO). I do not have a through ticket from OA to TK, and I have checked bags. Do I have enough time for making this transfer in ATH, with baggage claim, passport control, security etc?
On first appearance you have 2hrs 35 minutes which may look like a long time but in reality you don't have that long at all.

What is the check in close time for TK when needing to check in a bag? 45 mins before departure? A 60 mins close (more usual for international flights) would mean you have 1.35 so not as much as you initially thought.

(and don't forget the additional security on the leg to SFO and the ban on large electronic devices in the cabin)
Old Jul 22, 2017, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
On first appearance you have 2hrs 35 minutes which may look like a long time but in reality you don't have that long at all.

What is the check in close time for TK when needing to check in a bag? 45 mins before departure? A 60 mins close (more usual for international flights) would mean you have 1.35 so not as much as you initially thought.

(and don't forget the additional security on the leg to SFO and the ban on large electronic devices in the cabin)
That's all exaggerated, to say the least:

1) OP could ask the OA/A3 counter to check the bag through at Chania. Given that both A3 and TK are *A, the possibility of them doing so is very high (based on my own numerous experience doing so).

2) Even if that does not work, the time from de-planing at ATH until one reaches the check-in area (average waiting time at luggage retrieval ~10n min, <10 min.) is much less than the 1 hour and 35 minutes you calculated!

3) The prospect of additional security on the leg to SFO and the ban on large electronic devices in the cabin happening after arrival at IST can obviously have no effect on the time needed to connect at ATH.

In brief, justforfun's answer is 100% correct!
Old Jul 23, 2017, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by KLouis
That's all exaggerated, to say the least:

1) OP could ask the OA/A3 counter to check the bag through at Chania. Given that both A3 and TK are *A, the possibility of them doing so is very high (based on my own numerous experience doing so).

2) Even if that does not work, the time from de-planing at ATH until one reaches the check-in area (average waiting time at luggage retrieval ~10n min, <10 min.) is much less than the 1 hour and 35 minutes you calculated!

3) The prospect of additional security on the leg to SFO and the ban on large electronic devices in the cabin happening after arrival at IST can obviously have no effect on the time needed to connect at ATH.

In brief, justforfun's answer is 100% correct!
yiu have misunderstood some of my points

1yes that's possible but what if they don't through check

2 I did not say it would take 1 hour 35 to make the transition but that would be the amount of time the op would have to - shoukd they need to - collect bags etc before the check in deadline.

3. I was simply reminding the OP of the current situation re devices not that it would require any more time
Old Jul 23, 2017, 4:48 am

Wasn't the electronics in the cabin ban lifted for flights from IST to the USA on July 5th?
Remains for flights from IST to the UK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.